A New Millennium in America - a Gore Presidency and Beyond

Prologue
A New Millennium in America - a Gore Presidency and Beyond
Prologue

Nashville, Tennessee
August 5th, 2000

“I think it’s the right choice, Mister Vice President.”

Albert ‘Al’ Gore frowned and leaned back in his chair, feet on desk in his Nashville office. He looked at Warren Christopher sitting opposite of him, the man who recommended him to Bill Clinton eight years ago and the man Gore trusted to find his running mate.

“I thought we had narrowed it down to Lieberman. A few days ago you said you were 99% certain. Why the sudden change, Warren?”

Warren Christopher, former Secretary of State to President Clinton, shrugged and drank deep from his mug of coffee. Finishing, he wiped his mouth and spoke with confidence. He had to convince the Vice President of this new choice. He felt it might make or break the campaign.

“I was convinced Joe would be the best choice, Mister Vice President, but I saw that CNN interview she gave and she expressed interest in being your VP. and that 1% uncertainty reared its head and had me thinking. I looked through her credentials and I think the positives outweigh any potential negatives.”

Gore looked at the two manila folders, one labeled JL and the other JS, on the desk and rubbed his eyes as his mind raced through recent weeks filled with exhaustion and frustration. A few weeks ago it had all seemed so easy, the choice so obvious a blind man could have seen it. John Edwards was to be his Vice President, the energetic and charismatic Senator from North Carolina. But doubts were raised about Edwards' inexperience, for being perhaps too politically young, questions were asked in the Gore campaign if Edwards' youth would be a detraction rather than an asset to the ticket. Would America feel safe knowing a Senator with less than two years experience was but a heartbeat away from the most powerful position on Earth?

As enthusiasm for Edwards dimmed, Lieberman and Kerry took the spotlight. Gore knew he needed a Northerner to balance the ticket, another reason they had distanced from Edwards. It had been back and forth between the two, but as of last week Gore and Christopher had tentatively agreed that Lieberman was the pick. Joe Lieberman was a centrist who voted as a Democrat domestically but on foreign policy and defense was more akin to a Republican. Him being a Northerner would help even out the ticket. Clinton and Gore got lucky with two men from the South on the ticket, twice, so he didn’t want to test it a third time. Above all, however, that made Gore favor Lieberman was his criticism of Bill Clinton. Having him on the ticket would highlight Gore severing ties to the previous Administration’s missteps and blunders, signaling the Democratic Party as a whole was moving on from Clinton and that Al Gore specifically was moving out from under the shadow of the controversial and scandal-riddled current president.

Yet now that might be all dashed away. Gore sighed and leaned forward, opening up the second manila folder and started reading. flipping through the stapled sheets, dark blue eyes flicking over the documents. The background research was extensive and Gore admitted he liked what he was looking at. At the end were five bullet points highlighting her strengths as a candidate.

•Gubernatorial experience, popular with constituents
•Stable marriage, no divorces or scandals
•Woman, will attract independent female votes
•Native American ancestry, could attract minority votes
•Northerner, can geographically balance the ticket

He scanned over it again, weighing his options and thinking of avery advantage and disadvantage this would bring. Taking a deep breath, he made up his mind.

“Alright, I’m convinced. Give her office a call and see if the interest is real. If so, I’ll call her tonight and extend an offer.”

"Yes, sir."​

+ + +

Thank you for joining us tonight here at CNN. If you have not heard already, there has been breaking political news. Vice President Gore has announced his choice for running mate: New Hampshire Governor Cynthia Jeanne Shaheen. This will be only the second time a woman has been selected as a Vice Presidential candidate between the major parties, both time on Democratic tickets." [1]
--CNN, August 2000

Snap polling amongst registered voters, Republican, Democrat and Independent, shows that Jeanne Shaheen scores moderate to high with Democrats, moderate with Independent and low to moderate with Republicans. Is Shaheen a credible threat to Governor Bush's? Will she pull away key female votes come November? This publicity stunt will likely not pay off but time will tell.
--Fox News, August 2000

"Why do you think he chose her and not Lieberman? Is Al Gore trying to appease the female base of the Democratic Party, to bring them back on his side following his boss' infidelity? It is heavily rumored Joe Lieberman was going to be the nominee before a last minute change."

"I’d gather it’s for a few reasons, Mary. The Shaheens delivered the New Hampshire Primary to Gore on a silver platter, sidelining Bill Bradley's efforts to win primary voters. Governor Shaheen's husband was Gore' campaign manager in the Granite State. That early win propelled Gore to secure three times the voter share Bradley got in the primaries as a whole. If Gore didn’t secure New Hampshire, those numbers would likely look different and he’d appear weaker to Democratic voters.

Being nominated for Vice President is a reward for her accomplishments, on-the-ground work in New Hampshire, and the recognition of women in politics. Gore knows what he wants in a Vice President and he knows the importance the position can have in an Administration. Shaheen also has more appeal to a broader range of people than whatever Lieberman might have been able to sway. She has experience as a state senator and as governor of a state that has a strong GOP presence and is seen as likable and approachable among the Party's liberal and moderate wings where Lieberman largely appeals to conservative Democrats."

"So you're saying Governor Shaheen is a better choice than the senator? The choice seems hollow, Geraldine. I have a hard time picturing the party of womanizers like JFK and Clinton aim to treat women with respect. Honestly, I think he only did it to mislead undecided female voters that the scandal-riddled Democratic Party is the home for women in politics. American voters will see right through that and you know it."

"I don't think that is accurate, Shaheen has broader appeal and if she can swing New Hampshire's four Electoral votes to Gore, that could once again provide him an early and crucial win that could act as a catalyst across the country. She may or may not be better than Lieberman, but I doubt she'd do any worse. And Al Gore is not choosing Shaheen because she is a mere checkbox on some hypothetical electoral victory bingo card, Mary. She has political experience, is popular in her state, and shares many of the values Vice President Gore has stated throughout his campaign. She compliments the ticket in ways Lieberman wouldn’t have been able to, or for that matter Edwards or Kerry.”
--Crossfire, Geraldine Ferraro vs Mary Matalin

After several days filled with passionate speeches and popular themes during the Democratic National Convention held here in the City of Angels, Al Gore and Jeanne Shaheen have officially been nominated as the Democratic candidates for President and Vice President of the United States. The Gore/Shaheen ticket is set to hit the campaign trail in the coming days, with both crisscrossing the country to hold town hall meetings, speeches, fundraiser dinners and other public events to gain momentum for the election this November which only a few short months away.
--Los Angeles Times, August 2000

Shaheen-Cheney Vice Presidential Debate
MODERATOR: "From historic Danville, Kentucky, good evening, and welcome to this year’s sole vice presidential debate sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates. I’m Bernard Shaw of CNN, the moderator for this evening. Tonight we come to you from Newlin Hall in the Norton Center for the Arts on the campus of Centre College. To President John Rausch, the faculty, students and community leaders state-wide, we thank you for hosting this debate. The candidates are the Republican nominee, former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney of Wyoming, and the Democratic nominee, Governor Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire-

SHAHEEN: "We’re not spending any more than is projected by the experts, unlike our opponents. We’re setting aside $300 billion in a reserve fund in case the projections those nonpartisan experts make aren’t quite right. We understand that balancing the budget, keeping America out of debt is a way to keep interest rates down and the economy growing which benefits all Americans."​
---
MODERATOR: "Governor, your response to the education question."

SHAHEEN: "Al Gore and I are committed to making America’s public schools the best in the world. As a former educator myself I disagree with what my opponent has said. A lot of progress has been made in recent years. Average testing scores are up and a lot of extraordinary work is being done by tens of thousands of parents, teachers, administrators and students all around America. There is more to be done, I won’t dispute that. There are fields we need to improve on to remain competitive on the world stage. Not only are we taking $300 billion off the top of the surplus to put in reserve fund, the rest we’ll use for middle class tax cuts and invest in programs like education. There’s a big difference between these two tickets. Our opponents are going to spend $1.6 trillion of the $1.8 trillion surplus projected on that big tax cut that Al Gore talked about the other night so effectively. We’re saving money to invest in education which will pay dividends in a generation. You cannot reform education and improve it in this country without spending some money. Al Gore and I have committed almost $220 billion for that purpose. This money will be out towards recruiting 100,000 new teachers to reduce classroom sizes, to boost teacher and paraprofessional pay, to provide more resources and programs to aid child development and provide more electives alongside general classroom resources. This money will also help local school districts build new buildings so our children are not learning in crumbling classrooms. And we’re not just going to stop at public education. We’re going to go on and give the middle class the ability to deduct up to $10,000 a year in the cost of college tuition. Now, that is a tremendous life-saving change which will help people carry on their education and allow them to develop the kinds of skills that will help them succeed in the high-tech economy of today."​
---​
MODERATOR: "The next question goes to you, Governor. This is the 21st Century yet on average an American working woman in our great nation earns 75 cents for each $1 earned by a working male. What do you propose to do about it?"

SHAHEEN: "It’s a good and important question. Obviously in our time, fortunately, great advances have been made by women achieving the kind of equality that we were too long denied. Bernie, your question is absolutely right. Women — actually the number I have received is seventy-two cents for every dollar a man receives in a comparable job. Al Gore and I have issued an economic plan in which we’ve stated specific goals for the future. And one of those goals is to eliminate the pay gap between men and women. It’s unfair and it’s unacceptable. And the first way we will do that is by supporting the Equal Pay Act which has been proposed in Congress-"​
---
SHAHEEN: "That is simply incorrect, Mr. Cheney, we are not abandoning stay-at-home mothers. Our proposed tax cuts also give a $600 tax credit to stay-at-home moms as we realize they are performing a vital service to society. Our middle-class tax cuts are targeted in areas that need it. Tax credits for better and less expensive child care, tax credits for middle class families that don’t have health insurance from their employers. The college tax deduction I talked about earlier. A $3,000 tax credit for a family member who stays home with a parent or grandparent who is ill-"​
---
SHAHEEN: "My answer is no, I would not support legislation that is being introduced in Congress to override the Food and Drug Administration decision on RU-486."​
---
SHAHEEN: "Well, there’s good news from Belgrade today, Bernie, as you know-"​
---
SHAHEEN: "Al Gore and I are committed to continuing the acquisition program and transforming the military into a 'lean-and-mean' fighting machine. True, there are fewer people in uniform today, but person-to-person, unit-by-unit, this is the most powerful and effective military in the history of the world. And again, Al Gore and I will do whatever is necessary to keep it that way."​
---
MODERATOR: "Governor."

SHAHEEN: "I agree Saddam Hussein is a regional threat but we do not move headlong and gung-ho into the region. We must ensure the Iraqis honor the No Fly Zone, with the threat of further sanctions or, potentially, military intervention in the way of aerial bombardment without a ground element."​
---
MODERATOR: "Governor Shaheen, this question is for you. Many experts are forecasting continuing chaotic oil prices in the world market. Wholesale natural gas prices here in our country are leaping. Then there are coal and electricity. Have previous Republican and Democratic Congresses and administrations, including this one, done their job to protect the American people?"

SHAHEEN: "Not enough, but this administration and Vice President Gore and I have had both a long-term strategy to develop energy independence and a short-term strategy. In fact if the current administration had been given the amount of funding that it had requested from the Republican Congress, we would be further along in the implementation of that long-term strategy aimed at developing cleaner sources of energy, giving tax credits to individuals and businesses to conserve and use energy more efficiently. Aimed at a partnership for a new generation of vehicles with the American automobile industry which is making great progress and can produce a vehicle that can get eighty miles per gallon. We also have a short-term strategy. To deal with exactly the kind of ups and downs of energy prices. I know it was controversial, but Al Gore and I believed it was important in the short-term to reach into the strategic petroleum reserve, take some of the oil we have, put it in the market, show the big oil companies and the OPEC oil-producing countries that we have got some resources with which we can fight back. We aren’t going to lay back and let them roll over our economy. We did it also because gasoline prices were rising and home heating oil inventories were real low. Both of our tickets agree on LIHEAP keeping the low income housing assistance program, but our opponents offer no assistance to middle-class families hit by rising gas prices and a shortage of home heating oil. The fact is that since the reserve was opened the price of oil on world markets has dropped $6 a barrel. That’s a good result and I’m proud of it."​
---
SHAHEEN: "-I swear here and now that Social Security will be solvent until at least 2054. It is the backbone of our retirement system and our ticket pledges to keep it so."
--Shaheen vs Cheney Vice Presidential Debate [2]

In the Vice Presidential Debate held last week, Secretary Cheney was seen as the winner amongst many registered voters, with 84% of Republicans thinking he came out on top while 53% Independents and only 12% Democrats thought the Secretary won the debate. As for Governor Shaheen, her personality shone in the debate, as did her sense of humor and quick wit that has helped smooth out Al Gore's robotic rough edges on the campaign trail. In facing off against Secretary Cheney, Shaheen had impressed 67% Democrats who thought she had won the debate, with Republicans and Independents at 12% and 41%, respectively.
--The Washington Post, October 2000

As the election is only days away, both Bush/Cheney and Gore/Shaheen make final adjustments to their strategy.
--Fort Worth Star Telegram, November 2000

Tonight is the night. Democracy in action. Go out and vote, no matter who it is for, it is important the voice of all Americans are heard tonight. This election will decide how our nation moves forward into the new millennium.
--MSNBC, November 2000

"Unsurprisingly Gore takes an early lead in New England. Picking Shaheen is paying dividends as New Hampshire went Blue by less than a thousand votes, pushing the swing state further towards the Democrats. It is the third time in a row that the Granite State has voted for a Democrat in a presidential election-"

"-it is with some surprise that George W. Bush has swept the South in its near-entirety, both for the fact that Gore is a Southerner and that during both the '92 and '96 Elections the South was a competitive electoral battleground. The only state still in play is Florida, which is too close to call as of this moment-"

"-key Midwest states such as Michigan and Illinois go Democrat but Ohio's crucial 21 electoral votes goes to Bush-"

"-the entirety of the Great Plains goes to the Republicans, except for New Mexico which remains a Democratic bastion in the region-"

"If you are joining us now, the final result for California should be coming in any minute- hold on... I can confirm that California and its 52 Electoral Votes have gone to Vice President Gore. Gore won over a million and a half more voters in the state compared to Governor Bush. With Oregon and Washington also going to Gore, this leaves the Vice President with 267 Electoral Votes. Governor Bush meanwhile was able to eek out a victory in Florida after a round of recounting, securing the state's impactful 25 Electoral Votes by a mere thousand votes. This has caused both tickets to be tied at 267, making this the closest Presidential Election since 1876. Now it is up to Hawaii to decide who will be the next president-"

"It's confirmed. Gore has won Hawaii! Having secured almost 56% of the vote, Vice President Gore has surpassed the required 270 Electoral Votes. Ladies and gentlemen, we can say with absolute certainty that Al Gore is now the President-Elect of the United States of America." [3]​

Gore 2001 Map.png

U.S. Presidential Election 2000
Electoral Vote:
Al Gore [D] - 271
George W. Bush [R] - 267
Popular Vote:
Al Gore [D] - 51,297,104
George Bush [R] - 50,744,062

U.S. Congressional Elections
Senate:
Republicans: 54 → 50 [-4]
Democrats: 46 → 50 [+4]

House of Representatives [4]:
Republicans: 223 → 219 [-4]
Democrats: 211 → 214 [+3]
Independents: 1 → 2 [+1]
1684957447713.jpeg

President-Elect Al Gore

licensed-image

Vice President-Elect Jeanne Shaheen

[1] PoD - Shaheen being selected to be VP as she expresses interest instead of the opposite
[2] Shaheen gets more favorable ratings than Lieberman after the VP debate.
[3]Al Gore wins, albeit by extremely thin margins.
[4] House elections are almost the same as OTL but Connecticut 2nd: Sam Gejdenson [D] beats Rob Simmons [R]
Minnesota 2nd: David Minge [D] beats Mark Kennedy [R]

Last edited:
Thank you! Hope you enjoy what’s to come. If you ever have feedback or suggestions to improve the story, please let me know.
So far is an excellent start, a nice change it was Hawai the one that helped Gore to barely grasp the victory (rather than the traditionals Florida or West Virginia), so far no mayor butterflies for now, the rest with a literal split Legislative...that will be interesting how Gore push his agenda.

So far is an excellent start, a nice change it was Hawai the one that helped Gore to barely grasp the victory (rather than the traditionals Florida or West Virginia), so far no mayor butterflies for now, the rest with a literal split Legislative...that will be interesting how Gore push his agenda.
Hawaii might have been the state that gave him the win but it was New Hampshire going Blue due to popular Governor Shaheen being the VP candidate instead of Lieberman that secured the Granite State.

I was originally going to have Florida go for Gore but thought it being a tighter race would be more interesting.

The only true butterfly thus far is 2 Democratic Congressman who lost OTL instead win here.

Gore is going to have to compromise on a lot of his bills, being less ambitious than he wanted. But since Gore and Bush were both pushing for tax cuts, I feel Gore can get a lot of his tax cuts passed with little compromise.

Last edited:
Hawaii might have been the state that gave him the win but it was New Hampshire going Blue due to popular Governor Shaheen being the VP candidate instead of Lieberman that secured the Granite State.

I was originally going to have Florida go for Gore but thought it being a tighter race would be more interesting.

The only true butterfly thus far is 2 Democratic Congressman who lost OTL instead win here.

Gore is going to have to compromise on a lot of his bills, being less ambitious than he wanted. But since Gore and Bush were both pushing for tax cuts, I feel Gore can get a lot of his tax cuts passed with little compromise.
Yeah I see it, that will be fun.

Chapter One - Inauguration
Chapter One - Inauguration
November 2000 - January 2001
“Good morning. I want to first say thank you to Dick, Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Dorothy, Dad, Mom and Laura for all your support during this incredible and humbling experience. I couldn’t have done it without you.

Earlier this morning I called Vice President Gore to concede this free and fair election. Though the end result was not what many of us had envisioned or had hoped, it is nonetheless the will of the American people and as we have done for over two hundred years in this wonderful democratic experiment of ours the will of the many dictate who shall be their duly elected representatives.

I want to congratulate Vice President Gore on a well-run and hard-fought campaign. We debated important issues over a host of topics near and dear to our fellow countrymen, unveiled our ideas and aspirations to the American people and laid honest criticism upon the other. The people of this great nation have spoken and they have chosen you, Mister Gore, to lead them. In this endeavor, sir, you have my full support.

I also have the incredible honor of congratulating Governor Shaheen on becoming the first female Vice President in our country’s history come January. Congratulations, ma’am, you did a hell of a job on the campaign trail and you’ve done America proud.

We are stronger united than we are divided. I therefore urge all those who supported me in this journey of compassionate conservatism to now put aside partisanship and throw your full support behind our new President-Elect. Thank you, thank you. God bless you and yours, and God bless America.”
—Governor George W. Bush’s Concession Speech, November 8th, 2000

“Ladies and gentlemen… America had spoken. Our beloved nation asked for three things from us: Leadership, Integrity and Fiscal Responsibility, and we will deliver! We pledge to increase resources to education, pay down the national debt to keep interest rates low, a strong and enduring well-paying economy that trickles up rather than down. There is much to do and we will need your patience and support along the way, but know this: help is coming!

Now, ladies and gentlemen, I am proud and honored to introduce to you the new President-Elect of the United States: Albert Gore!”
—Vice President-Elect Jeanne Shaheen, November, 2000

"The President offers his congratulations to President-Elect Gore, and wishes him the best of luck in his future endeavors in running the country."
—Press Secretary Jack Siewert, November 2000

As Al Gore settles into Washington D.C. this weekend as part of the transition process, hundreds of pro-Bush protestors are out in force, declaring the election was stolen, that a 'nonpartisan recount' was needed, and that Gore should resign. Police forces have thus kept the protests from being anything other than name-calling and vented frustration.

Both Governor Bush and Secretary Cheney have issued strongly-worded statements directed towards the protestors, stating that while it is their right to protest the election, the two stated in no uncertain terms that the election was in fact free, fair and nonpartisan and they should accept the results and move on. Days would follow, with the crowd slowly dissipating but much of the remnant grumbling amongst far-right GOP members were silenced following a letter released by Ronald Reagan's office, calling for the peaceful transfer of power to continue unabated.

Campaign Manager Donna Brazile and incoming White House Chief of Staff Charles Burson are quickly forming a rough draft of potential Cabinet picks. Gore, who has struggled to main unison within the Democratic Party throughout the election has to juggle Conservatives, Moderate Centrists and Progressives within his Party to have any shot of passing legislation, especially in a thinly divided Congress.
—CNN, November 2000

Three Iraqi fighters breach the Northern No Fly Zone, skirting inside the Zone by several kilometers. U.S. F-16s quickly chased out the Iraqi MiG-21s. In response President Clinton orders a proportional response of strikes on the airstrip the MiG-21s embarked from.

Saddam Hussein goes on state television to criticize ‘American aggression,’ but events quickly cool over the following days as there are no further incidents.
—NBC, December 2000

President-Elect Gore arrives to Nashville to spend Christmas with friends and family. Security has been notably heightened over the last few days.
The Tennessean, December 2000

Vice President Gore and a joint session of the U.S. Congress check and validate the Electoral Count from the November presidential election. With a single hammering of the gavel, Gore became legally recognized himself as the winner of the 2000 Presidential Election.​
ap_01010601403_custom-745c8c35e2238f0cdb6859d3d6ecb986358e74aa.jpg

Al Gore in his role as President of the Senate, confirming the Electoral Votes on January 6th, 2001

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."​
95294e42-9ca3-440f-9d22-afb10ab3a4e1_1140x641.jpg

Al Gore taking the Oath of Office, January 20th, 2001

"President Clinton, distinguished guests and my fellow citizens, the peaceful transfer of authority is rare in history, yet common in our country. With a simple oath, we affirm old traditions and make new beginnings.

As I begin, I thank President Clinton for his service to our nation. And I thank Governor Bush for a contest conducted with spirit and ended with grace.

I am honored and humbled to stand here today, where so many of America's leaders have come before me, and so many will follow.

As we move further into the 21st Century we must remain vigilant. Vigilant to threats beyond our shores, in countries whose ideologies and tyrants despise us, and also to those within our borders. These threats are not always human in nature, however. Climate change is a fact, not a fear-mongering myth that some have tailored it as. Renowned scientists across the world have theorized, stated and proven its existence. We must a low ledge the facts, recognize the truth and act upon this information.

If our nation, our fragile blue planet with its six billion souls, is to see a 22nd and a 23rd Century and beyond, we must therefore tackle the dangers of human-made pollution, of overconsumption of limited resources and our dependency on nonrenewable energy.

My Administration will work with Congress, on both sides of aisle, to create long-lasting, high-paying jobs, better retirement opportunities and better quality of life for millions of Americans who struggle day-to-day, week-to-week, and paycheck-to-paycheck.

We are not a perfect society. It is only fitting that I, an imperfect and flawed man, should stand at the helm of this great course we shall soon embark upon. I will make mistakes, I will misjudge, I will act too lethargically ant times and I will act too rashly in others. But I am but one man. Together, with other imperfect people who share the dreams many of us do, who see beyond the next day, we shall renew and build upon the America that was promised, a land of endless opportunities, of free and open public discourse, and of inalienable rights enshrined in our Declaration of Independence, knowing in our hearts that all men are created equal.

This journey the nation will go on will not be easy nor will it be swift, but that is what will make it all worth it in the end. And when I leave from this office years from now, for democracy is a beautiful thing, I will know that whomever follows in my wake will do what they can to better an imperfect world. The work continues. The story goes on. And an angel still rides upon the whirlwind and directs the storm.

God bless you all, and God bless America.”
—President Gore’s Inaugural Speech, January 20th, 2001

Last edited:
Chapter Two - Hundred Days, Part One: Forming a Cabinet
Chapter Two
Hundred Days, Part One: Forming a Cabinet

January 2001 - April 2001

“I knew the Presidency was not something to shoulder myself with lightly. I had seen what it did to Bill, I saw what it did to my successor. It ages you with the stress, it pains you with the inability to push through legislation you know will help people, and burdens you that you are not only the leader of the United States but the de facto leader of the Free World.

The first Hundred Days of any Administration is typically one filled with flurry of activity, of hammering out details and the fine points. It is the time when the President works with Congress to produce substantial legislation. To showcase a President's agenda and set the tempo for what's to come.

Unlike Bill’s first Hundred Days, I inherited a divided Congress. Democrats controlled the Senate with Jeanne providing the tie-breaking vote, and though Democrats had increased our share of the House of Representatives, we were still the minority.

That meant I had to roll up my sleeves, swallow my pride, and prepare for compromises I knew I wouldn’t like.

Little did I know how hard it was actually going to be.”
—Excerpt from Al Gore’s autobiography The Humbling Power of Democracy - My Years in the White House. Published by Penguin Random House, 2015
---
The day after the Inauguration and the official events that followed it (of which there were six Inaugural Balls), President Gore officially began the work he promised whilst on the campaign trail. A flurry of high-level meetings took place at the White House between President Gore, Vice President Shaheen, their respective staffs and that of chief Congressional leaders such as Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt. Following these meetings and the interviews that followed, Gore would sign four executive orders, promising 1-2 per day for his first Hundred Days.

The first four Executive Orders by the Gore Administration are as follows:
-raising the Federal Employee Minimum Wage for Federal Government contractors to $6.50 starting in March
-establishing new regulations concerning hazardous waste disposal across the country and strengthening EPA enforcement
-an order to all U.S. Federal Departments and Agencies to conduct a thorough audit of their computer systems to find ways to improve performance and strengthen cyber security
-ordering the Department of Energy to release a half-million barrels of oil per day for 90 days from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to lower gas prices and energy bills across the country

Will the president’s ambitious start pave way to an economic boom or an economic slump?
Wall Street Journal, January 2001

White House Press Secretary Chris LeHane has released the full list of President Gore’s Cabinet appointees. The list, long theorized and predicted by political operators in D.C. and the media alike since the presidential campaign, contained many recognizable names either from or associated with the Clinton Administration.

The list fielded so many Clinton appointees in fact that one anonymous Republican politician quipped to The Washington Post, “President Gore is his own man," he said, quoting the president's speech at the Democratic National Convention last year, "As long as Bill gives the thumbs up.”

Despite some criticism, many of the candidates have received a positive reaction, noting the diversity of men and women, featuring whites, blacks and Hispanics. LeHane stated in the press conference, "President Gore is committed to having a Cabinet that reflects the democraphics of America."

The Senate will take a week to review and ready questions before it interviews the appointees, but Senator Patrick Leahy (Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee) has assured President Gore that the process will be speedy, reportedly stating, “We’ll have it all wrapped up by early to mid-March, Mister President.”
Roll Call, January 2001

A Beechcraft Super King Air 200, registration N81PF, carrying two Oklahoma State football players and several more university personnel made an emergency crash landing last night on I-70 after the pilot became disoriented in a snow storm. Aside from a few bumps and bruises, as well as a concussion to the pilot, and extensive damage to a car that was clipped by the plane as it landed on the highway, none have died though several will remain in Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Centre for several days for observation.
The Denver Post, January 2001

Two weeks after the mass shootings in Nevada County, California that killed three and wounded three others, President Gore declares in a Rose Garden speech that to counter gun violence, especially those not covered under the Federal Assault Weapons Ban such as handguns, Congress needs to pass legislation that institutes new requirements and restrictions, such as Red Flag laws and closing what is known as the ‘boyfriend loophole.’ As for those with severe mental health disorders that led to being institutionalized in a mental hospital, Gore proposes a federal database that collects the necessary information from state records to prevent those that are considered by a judge in a court of law to be mentally, emotionally or physically unfit to purchase firearms nationwide.

While celebrated by many, though not by all Democrats, the proposal is seen as Dead on Arrival in the Republican-controlled House. Speaker Hastert spoke on the steps of the Capitol yesterday afternoon to nitpick President Gore’s proposals.

“While I agree we need to get a handle on crimes committed with firearms in this country, I do not agree with the White House’s attempted infringement on the Second Amendment rights of the American people. The right to bear arms is enshrined into our Constitution and I do not take matters of overruling that august document lightly.

The only proposal President Gore mentioned that I and many within the House would support is closing the so-called ‘boyfriend loophole.’ Those who have committed crimes or misdemeanors related to physical or sexual assault should be on probation for purchasing guns and, in some cases, banned from doing so for life, depending on the severity of the crime that is. That would have some support here on the Hill.”
New York Times, January 2001
1685302291220.jpeg

President Al Gore giving an interview following his comments about further gun restrictions, January 2001

The Baltimore Ravens have defeated the New York Giants in Super Bowl XXXV 27-10, marking the first Super Bowl win for the Ravens organization in franchise history. Linebacker Ray Lewis was named MVP.
Sports Illustrated, January 2001

Senate hearings over President Gore’s Cabinet appointees have begun, starting with Richard Holbrooke who is slated to become Secretary of State, a position he has long coveted if the Senate Judiciary Committee votes in his favor. If that happens his nomination will be sent to a floor vote in the U.S. Senate where it is expected he would secure enough votes to be Senate-confirmed.
The Washington Times, February 2001
House Democrats have introduced three bills that are key to President Gore’s agenda.
-Tax Modification and Improvement Act (TMIA)
-Clean Energy Jobs Initiative Act (CEJIA)
-Education for a Modern America Act (EMAA)

All three proposed Acts are sweeping bills that cover a host of major topics. It is assumed Gore knows he may not have much political capital after these bills but wants to cap his Hundred Days with some major legislative victories to help pave the way for the 2002 Midterms. If the Democrats can show success, it would bode well for expanding their hold in Congress.

Many Congressional Republicans are already deriding the bills, especially add-on legislation such as the call for raising the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.25 in the Tax Modification and Improvement Act over two years, citing that to raise the minimum wage so aggressively in such a short period will cause economic hardship for small businesses which would lead to layoffs. House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt has assured House Republicans and media outlets that raising the minimum wage will be vital to lowering poverty, increasing the purchasing power of low-income families, and will lead to an economic uptick as people have more money to spend on consumption. Gephardt also stated, “The president’s proposed tax cuts will give the lower-to-middle classes some wiggle room, some relief, to help stretch every dollar they earned farther. Add in the tax deductions and tax credits on offer and our plan will help millions of Americans.

However not all Democrats are showcasing unity, as many Democrats spearheaded by Senator Edward ‘Ted’ Kennedy lambasted the president for his lack of healthcare reform. “I am not expect sweeping changes,” the Senator is quoted to have said, “but there needs to be some greater assistance to help those in desperate need for quality healthcare.”
—CBS, February 2001
1685303774767.jpeg

Protests concerning the minimum wage erupted after the proposed Tax Modification and Improvement Act (TMIA) was released to media outlets, both for and against. Pictured are pro-higher Minimum Wage, February 2001

Although much of Gore’s Cabinet is being quickly pushed through the Judiciary Committee, a snag has developed concerning the president’s choice for Attorney General. Jamie Gorelick, a Deputy Attorney General under Clinton until 1997, was Gore’s first choice (though rumors abound in Washington that Eric Holder had been the first choice for some time but was pushed down the rung shortly before December for reasons unknown).

The issue with Gorelick was when she had been a proponent of banning strong encryption for communication software and instead supported the creation of a key escrow system which would have allowed the U.S. Government a ‘back door’ into any communication or computer software, private or public.

Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah, the leading Republican on the Judiciary Committee, strongly criticized the president’s choice, claiming “This is another example of big brother government the Democrats frequently flirt with. We are now in the 21st Century, Internet privacy and communication security are big issues now and will become Increasingly more so as these technologies develop. We need an Attorney General that will protect a person’s digital privacy, not one who advocates government access. If Gorelick remains the nominee, every Republican on this Committee will vote ‘No.’”

President Gore readied his legal team to back Mrs. Gorelick but the former Deputy Attorney General withdrew her name from the nomination after her first hearing before the Judiciary Committee which was described as ‘uncomfortably scathing.’

In a public statement after her withdrawal, Gorelick declared she wanted to spend more time with her family and felt that there were better candidates for the job out there without her political baggage. Someone close to her has leaked that Gorelick simply didn’t want to be dragged through the mud again by the Committee in such a public setting, and reportedly a few Democrats on the Committee privately conveyed to Mrs. Gorelick stated that they would not vote ‘Yes’ due to the key escrow issue.

As the Senate went through the other Cabinet nominees, Gore’s Chief of Staff Charles Burson scrambled to find a replacement for Gorelick. Thankfully, a candidate soon showed interest: Walter Dellinger. After his name was submitted, Dellinger passed the Committee’s review and was sent to a floor vote where he was confirmed 67-32 (1 abstained) by mid-March.

With his Cabinet nearly put together by the end of March (delayed by exhaustive questioning of several candidates by Republicans on the Judiciary Committee), President Gore held a speech before a joint session of Congress, highlighting the legislation proposed by the House Democrats in February that is currently in a nasty partisan gridlock. The president called for Congress to pass these bills to better the lives of millions of Americans. Gore says his tax cuts will help lower-to-middle classes but the Republicans say it doesn’t cover enough and is “pennies to the dollar.”

Gephardt and other key Democrats are whipping votes amongst their caucus while Gore has discussions with Republican leadership to sway some votes his way but thus far any progress to a compromise has been stalled.
Roll Call, April 2001

Following the confirmation of Rodney Slater as Secretary of Transportation in the first week of April, President Gore now has a full cabinet, with only one candidate having to have withdrawn (Jamie Gorelick).

Following this minor victory, President Gore has stated his desire to maintain some momentum as his first Hundred Days is about to conclude at the end of the month. Gore has summoned Congressional leadership from both sides to try and hash out a deal over the three bills stalled in Committees. A week of bitter exchanges of ideals and ideology passed by but by mid-April, an agreement was made. The President, standing next to Speaker Hastert and Minority Leader Gephardt, announces that a tentative compromise concerning the three bills has been made and will go to the respective House Committees to get ironed out before a final version is presented to the House floor for a vote in two weeks.

By all accounts no one is happy with the agreement, but tips from anonymous staffers have stated the Republicans gained more than they lost.

President Gore, after the handshaking and hollow smiles, returned to the White House, seemingly dejected.
—The New York Times, April 2001

The Gore Cabinet List and key Government positions by mid-April 2001 are as follows:
President - Al Gore
Vice President - Jeanne Shaheen
Secretary of State - Richard Holbrooke
Secretary of Treasury - Lawrence Summers
Secretary of Defense - Norman Augustine
Attorney General - Walter Dellinger
Secretary of the Interior - Bob Miller
Secretary of Agriculture - Philip Burnett
Secretary of Commerce - Norman Mineta
Secretary of Labor - Linda Chavez-Thompson
Secretary of Health and Human Services - Nancy-Ann Min DeParle
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development - Norman Rice
Secretary of Transportation - Rodney Slater
Secretary of Energy - Hazel O’Leary
Secretary of Education - James Hunt Jr.
Secretary of Veteran Affairs - Hershel Gobel
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency - Kathleen McGinty
Director of Office of Management and Budget - Robert Reischauer
United States Trade Representative - Charlene Barshefsky
Ambassador to the United Nations - Susan Rice
Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers - Martin Baily
Administrator of the Small Business Administration - Alexis Herman
Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration - Jane Garvey
Director of the National Economic Council - Gene Sperling
White House Chief of Staff - Charles Burson
Senate Majority Leader [D] - Tom Daschle
Senate Minority Leader [R] - Trent Lott
Speaker of the House [R] - Dennis Haster
House Minority Leader [D] - Dick Gephardt​

Last edited:
By all accounts no one is happy with the agreement, but tips from anonymous staffers have stated the Republicans gained more than they lost.

President Gore, after the handshaking and hollow smiles, returned to the White House, seemingly dejected.
Of Course unlike newbie puppet Bush jr, Gore have the Clintonian era baggage and people more organize to criticize him, so far is a nice start.

Mhmm. Gore is gonna have an uphill battle.
Like Bush but unlike Bush Inertia, Gore has more baggage can be use against ,although on the other hand, he far more proactive jr ever was so he would try to pick a fight he could win to get an early win. Of course certain thing will change everything
Either 9/11 will not happen ittl or it will go differently. Idk why but I feel like there's like a small but not unlikely possible Al Gore will be killed off on 9/11 like some other timelines before.
We're yet to touch the third summer crisis, but according the tags would be different, the President being killed on 9/11.did he was on the pentagon and he unluckily was ont he section the plane might hit ittl?

Regardless that is far in the future...if even happen at all

It's not gonna happen I just checked well at least he will live.
That seems a little unlikely given how the attack was planned years in advance and the bungling of intelligence likely wouldn't change no matter who was President especially since Gore is likely continuing Clinton era policies.

That seems a little unlikely given how the attack was planned years in advance and the bungling of intelligence likely wouldn't change no matter who was President especially since Gore is likely continuing Clinton era policies.
No I know that I just think that it wouldn't happen due to the tag in this thread that says "No 9/11." I agree it would happen anyway realistically.