The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

2022 sub.png

2022 with subdivisions. Now with more subdivisions!
New this year: South West Ethiopian Peoples region in Ethiopia
Other recent subdivision changes: 10 new in Algeria, Sidamo region in Ethiopia, 1 new division in Balochistan, North Kalimantan in Indonesia
Newly added subdivisions: Guinea, Ivory Coast, Chad, CAR, Cameroon, Gabon, Uganda, Kenya, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana
Patches: Subdivisions in southern Algeria and Ethiopia; Lake Chad; Chad/CAR border

View attachment 714449
Other recent subdivision changes: 10 new in Algeria, Sidamo region in Ethiopia, 1 new division in Balochistan, North Kalimantan in Indonesia
Newly added subdivisions: Guinea, Ivory Coast, Chad, CAR, Cameroon, Gabon, Uganda, Kenya, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana
Patches: Subdivisions in southern Algeria and Ethiopia; Lake Chad; Chad/CAR border
Scary veiny Worlda

View attachment 714449
Mongolia's subdivisions are missing in its south.

I imagine an actual answer to this is impossible since WorldA doesn't really correspond to the world, but roughly (discounting borders/coastlines) what land area is represented by 1 pixel on WorldA?

I imagine an actual answer to this is impossible since WorldA doesn't really correspond to the world, but roughly (discounting borders/coastlines) what land area is represented by 1 pixel on WorldA?
Honestly yeah, you already answered the question. It's somewhat arbitrary, and not the type of map with equal representation like 1 px = 50 miles or whatever. For instance, if we discount coastlines, both Bermuda and Malta are represented with one land-colored pixel. Bermuda's land area is around 20 miles sq, but Malta's land area is closer to 122 miles sq. Puerto Rico has three land-colored pixels, but it is not even close to 3x the size of the other two: it is 3,500 miles sq. Pretty big incongruity, but it doesn't matter that much since (as you point out) its more geared towards ease of functionality and political representation rather than accurate spacial sense.

Last edited:
As both Hadaril and i are painfully aware, you can't accurately map size : worlda because it's not a real projection, and even then i don't believe it's equal area.

This can be done either comparing the size of the map with the real proportions of the Earth employing the circunference or by aproximating it from the area.

Let's start with the circunference method. Discounting the two pixels that make the borders of the map, WorlDA is 1202px wide at the equator. Earth's equatorial circunference is 40075.017 Km. So assuming the WorlDA shows the Earth's 360º of longitude, a pixel in the equator should be roughly equivalent to roughly 33.34 Km or 0.2995 degrees of longitude. Note that I calibrated the WorlDA so the center of the map alligns the center of the picture, thus making both hemispheres equal, not sure if current "standard" WorlDA does that or not, also pretty sure it does not reach 90ºN.

We could do the same for the latitude. The WorlDA is centered on the Oslo Meridian, and again discounting the two pixels of the border (658 in total), and that Earth's polar circunference is 40007.86 Km (which we would have to divide by two since we go from pole to pole, not from one pole all the way around to the same place) would give a value of 30.40 Km per pixel or 0.2735 degrees of latitude.

However, one must take into account that while longitudinal variations do not affect the actual size of a degree, latitudinal variations do (degrees closer to the pole are shorter), and the fact that the projection itself is wrong. This is no equal area projection, so the value of 33.34 X 30.40 Km only works at the equator, pixel sizes closer to the poles are way bigger than they should be, to the point where at the last row of pixels before the pole (646 pixels across and 30.40 Km from the pole*) it is wrong by several orders of magnitude.

Another way to do it is considering the map as an ellipse, and we have both semiaxes (601px and 329px) respectively, which gives us an area of 621184 square px. The area of the Earth is 510072000 square Km, so one pixel would correspond to 821.1287 square Km per pixel or a pixel of 28,6553 Km of side. Again, this number is also distorted by the projection of the map, same distortion as with the pixel count before.

Again, these are approximations and should not be taken seriously. The first only works at the Equator, while the the second only works at a hypothetical point where the distortion is somehow cancelled in the mid latitudes (if I knew the projection I could try to pinpoint it, but that's too much work).

This can be done either comparing the size of the map with the real proportions of the Earth employing the circunference or by aproximating it from the area.

Let's start with the circunference method. Discounting the two pixels that make the borders of the map, WorlDA is 1202px wide at the equator. Earth's equatorial circunference is 40075.017 Km. So assuming the WorlDA shows the Earth's 360º of longitude, a pixel in the equator should be roughly equivalent to roughly 33.34 Km or 0.2995 degrees of longitude. Note that I calibrated the WorlDA so the center of the map alligns the center of the picture, thus making both hemispheres equal, not sure if current "standard" WorlDA does that or not, also pretty sure it does not reach 90ºN.

We could do the same for the latitude. The WorlDA is centered on the Oslo Meridian, and again discounting the two pixels of the border (658 in total), and that Earth's polar circunference is 40007.86 Km (which we would have to divide by two since we go from pole to pole, not from one pole all the way around to the same place) would give a value of 30.40 Km per pixel or 0.2735 degrees of latitude.

However, one must take into account that while longitudinal variations do not affect the actual size of a degree, latitudinal variations do (degrees closer to the pole are shorter), and the fact that the projection itself is wrong. This is no equal area projection, so the value of 33.34 X 30.40 Km only works at the equator, pixel sizes closer to the poles are way bigger than they should be, to the point where at the last row of pixels before the pole (646 pixels across and 30.40 Km from the pole*) it is wrong by several orders of magnitude.

Another way to do it is considering the map as an ellipse, and we have both semiaxes (601px and 329px) respectively, which gives us an area of 621184 square px. The area of the Earth is 510072000 square Km, so one pixel would correspond to 821.1287 square Km per pixel or a pixel of 28,6553 Km of side. Again, this number is also distorted by the projection of the map, same distortion as with the pixel count before.

Again, these are approximations and should not be taken seriously. The first only works at the Equator, while the the second only works at a hypothetical point where the distortion is somehow cancelled in the mid latitudes (if I knew the projection I could try to pinpoint it, but that's too much work).
It's a weird version of Kav7, which is squashed at the poles.

Byz1025.png

Small patch for the Byzantine Empire in 1025 at the death of Emperor Basil II. This is very approximately, borders in both the Balkans and in Armenia are very approximate as it is difficult to pin down who ruled what and where. I can definitely confirm that the Kingdom of Croatia and the cities of Amalfi and Naples were Byzantine by acknowledged suzerainty only, but for the Slavic-Serb rulers of modern Bosnia it is a bit more difficult since there is just this vague notion of powersharing between Byzantine strategos and local chiefs and princes. Armenia also tends to vary in its representation during this period, but this is the classic look to the territory from most secondary sources. The theme borders should be fairly solid though..

Last edited:
... And here's what I've been working on for the last month-and-a-half I haven't been active.

1645263212583.png

Got the idea while talking to @Entrerriano while he was working on his lovely Qbam map for the same thing, though I had the benefit of not finishing this one until his could garner enough criticism for me to make a more accurate patch. This is mainly based off of maps from Hisatlas and Omniatlas, if anyone wants to make something similar.

Last edited:
... And here's what I've been working on for the last month-and-a-half I haven't been active.

View attachment 720273
Got the idea while talking to @Entrerriano while he was working on his lovely Qbam map for the same thing, though I had the benefit of not finishing this one until his could garner enough criticism for me to make a more accurate patch. This is mainly based off of maps from Hisatlas and Omniatlas, if anyone wants to make something similar.
>colonial divisions
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHA-

View attachment 720273
This is truly, as the kids say these days, poggers.

Could I perhaps bother you good folks to put together a good map of Cnut's empire at somewhere around its height, and/or perhaps something that reasonably replicates this (admittedly achronic) map of Francia? I also wouldn't mind a 1265-ish map of the Balkans/Black Sea/Anatolia region, but this is slightly easier for me to piece together from what I do have available.

If I've simply missed them in the hundred pages of this thread or the thousands of pages of previous modern-era worlda threads, I'd appreciate getting pointed to them.

Thanks, y'all.