The HEART Development and Core Thread

I'm just afraid to f up the style and accurate, I hope all things I'll do someone will double check for fixing something
Don't worry, I'll check all your patches and help you get comfortable with the HEART style, I appriciate your help on this massive project
The outlines are normally 5 pixels away from the closest coast pixel, and have a thickness of 2. For some of the smaller Caraibean countries/dependencies, that would not fit so that would take some improvising I would say.
The outlines aren't rly neccesary for (most) the islands here as they are pretty big and can fit colours inside all of them, but yes the 5 pixel gap might be to much in some places, we will have to establish some of the HEART rules as they become relevant

The outlines aren't rly neccesary for (most) the islands here as they are pretty big and can fit colours inside all of them, but yes the 5 pixel gap might be to much in some places, we will have to establish some of the HEART rules as they become relevant
I encountered this twice already in Polynesia. I tried to lower the gap such that there are at least 2 water pixels in between both outlines. But for some really close islands that might still not work.

I think I got into rush and figured out how to do it
NORTH_ATLANTIC_OCEAN.png

I think I got into rush and figured out how to do it
View attachment 871924
Thats looking alot better, I do recommend re-visiting the lesser antilles now that you got the style down though, the next step would be to add the borders and ilssnad outlines
1701116245669.png

I have converted this image to the right projection for you, it might really help you with tracing though make sure you cross check the subdivisions with other sources

oh, right, well.. I did this, maybe would helpView attachment 871933 or fit in
I do appriciate your enthousiam in helping, but it is best not to speedrun HEARTs creation as it will leave many things for us to fix later. Doing the coastlines is the easy bit but it is in adding the borders/rivers/glaciers that a great amount of detailing goes.

I really recommend adding those features before speedrunning the coastline tracing, I don't know if this version of England is usable for that reason unfortunatly

You seem to have a very high output rate and like doing the coastlines so maybe you could start with Alaska or British Columbia as there are less borders there? I do appriciate your enthousiam, I just really want to make sure that HEART delivers a high quality usuable product

Sorry if that sounds harsh its not my intention your patch for the greater antilles looks great!

How do I make precise borders? It seems like there's some guesswork involved since the lines on the .pdn file you shared are generally 2 to 4 pixels wide. Is there another resource I'm missing somehow? I plan on starting with my personal corner of the world (New England) once I get the hang of it.

Last edited:
How do I make precise borders? It seems like there's some guesswork involved since the lines on the .pdn file you shared are generally 2 to 4 pixels wide. Is there another resource I'm missing somehow? I plan on doing my personal corner of the world (New England) once I get the hang of it.
The lines in the pdf are a reference only, they are converted into robinson projection from a lower resolution map, they need to be hand drawn comparing to more high resolution sources, using this methode HEART would have at most a 2-4 pixel error margin which is good enough for now, but as I elaborated in my post above I am trying to get it even more accurate by cross referencing all the borders with other sources.

This is why simple tracing alone isn't good enough in my opinion, simple tracing is the progess we used to create the M-BAM and resulted in a large number of errors which at the time we thought we would just fix later but that never happened, its best I think to aim for the highest accuracy possible now than aim for that later.

Last edited:
I do appriciate your enthousiam in helping, but it is best not to speedrun HEARTs creation as it will leave many things for us to fix later. Doing the coastlines is the easy bit but it is in adding the borders/rivers/glaciers that a great amount of detailing goes.

I really recommend adding those features before speedrunning the coastline tracing, I don't know if this version of England is usable for that reason unfortunatly

You seem to have a very high output rate and like doing the coastlines so maybe you could start with Alaska or British Columbia as there are less borders there? I do appriciate your enthousiam, I just really want to make sure that HEART delivers a high quality usuable product

Sorry if that sounds harsh its not my intention your patch for the greater antilles looks great!
You're right, I'm doing it too fast, maybe missing some details and future adds. Sorry for that, as I said before, I was never participated in creating maps, so it's my first time trying to do something :>

What kinds of other sources would you recommend? Google maps?
For coastlines google maps is definitely the best option and what I have been using myself thus far.

But it varies for other lines for internal borders I have used various administrative maps mainly from wikipedia.
You're right, I'm doing it too fast, maybe missing some details and future adds. Sorry for that, as I said before, I was never participated in creating maps, so it's my first time trying to do something :>
No worries, I am here to help you figure it out, just keep in mind that there is no rush or deadline to finish this map :)

I'm very close to start doing borders from Florida to.. maybe Yucatán
And 27zipski can start in New England continuing way down to Florida
During M-BAM's development we kept a smaller map showing what areas people were working on, I have tried making a quick version of that for HEART
Dark green is currently finished
Light Green is pending revision

Light blue are the areas I am preparing to do, feel free to mark the areas you guys want to do in your own colours so we don't get in eachothers hairs while mapping (I think Tomoto is still working on Polynesia and moving into New Zeeland after that)
1701119962044.png

My next few patches will probably cover the Visegrad group before I move into the Maghreb

Last edited:
I plan on finishing the orange in the next few days and the light orange eventually.
95DC9902-8648-4EBF-B236-DD4D63FEF396.png

Last edited:
For coastlines google maps is definitely the best option and what I have been using myself thus far.

But it varies for other lines for internal borders I have used various administrative maps mainly from wikipedia.
I guess I don't really understand how G-projector works. Most maps on wikipedia don't give the corner coordinates or even the projection. How would I for example import the below image and map it to robinson:

New_England_Minor_Civil_Divisions.png