Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

For Malaya, assuming the campaign in the African desert is complete, would there not be more land based airpower also?

- More strike aircraft to attack the Japanese Malaya abd Thailand seabourne invasion forces.
- Potentially more land based fighter cover for naval operations though I woukd still doubt their efficacy.
- Malaya holds, no Indian Ocean raid?

For Malaya, assuming the campaign in the African desert is complete, would there not be more land based airpower also?

- More strike aircraft to attack the Japanese Malaya abd Thailand seabourne invasion forces.
- Potentially more land based fighter cover for naval operations though I woukd still doubt their efficacy.
- Malaya holds, no Indian Ocean raid?
For the first two, it depends on when the fighting in NA actually ends. For the third, the Kido Butai will instead hit Singapore itself.

One big thing is that if the Malayan invasion stalls, there likely won't be much of a drive into Burma, at least, not for a good long while. This will prove troublesome for the Japanese, and Thai forces in the Malayan Peninsula.

Last edited:
One big thing is that if the Malayan invasion stalls, there likely won't be much of a drive into Burma, at least, not for a good long while.
As part of the forces for the Japanese invasion of Burma came from Malaya, I think there wouldn't be an invasion of Burma...

As part of the forces for the Japanese invasion of Burma came from Malaya, I think there wouldn't be an invasion of Burma...
Well they could possibly supplement them with Thai troops.

Ooh, also, as well as Force Z, if Singapore remains in British hands, expect it to become a major submarine base.

Last edited:
It would mean Thailand taking a more active role in WWII...
They're co-belligerants with Japan, so they're involved (and they did participate in the campaign in Burma OTL). Mind you, British success will likely see the Free Thai Movement receiving even more support.

It's really a domino line, if Malaya doesn't fall, there's probably no or a much weaker invasion of Burma. If Burma doesn't fall, the Burma Road to China remains open, so the Chinese (and American volunteer forces) will be better-supplied, tying down more Japanese troops there. So too if Malaya doesn't fall, Britain retains Singapore as a port, which puts the whole Southern Resource Area into jeopardy from both regular and irregular forces opposed to the Japanese.

Last edited:
Not much better supplied though. The road wasn't that great. What China really needed in that regard is a open port.

Not much better supplied though. The road wasn't that great. What China really needed in that regard is a open port.
At this point the road wasn't great, but with Burma safe, and Britain (and the USA) at war with Japan, you can bet improvements will be coming in soon.

Last edited:
The problem is the terrain limits what can be done and trucks just can't carry the amount of things the Chinese need like a port and railroad can.

The problem is the terrain limits what can be done and trucks just can't carry the amount of things the Chinese need like a port and railroad can.
I haven't looked into the issue deeply, but while I'm sure there would be limits to what could be done, I don't think it's a hopeless cause.

To point it isn't. the main problem is the corruption and the fact that the Burma road is far from where most of the fighting is.

Considering that the Allies considered it worthwhile to transport materiel by air IOTL to the Nationalist Chinese and the American forces supporting them then I think the Road being open would be a big deal. If only because it would not require hundreds of aircraft to maintain the airlift

I didn't mean that wouldn't support them. what I meant is that I think the British were more realistic on the capabilities of the Chinese then most of the decision makers in the US.

I didn't mean that wouldn't support them. what I meant is that I think the British were more realistic on the capabilities of the Chinese then most of the decision makers in the US.
Yes, but the American Volunteer Group (later replaced by the 23rd Fighter Group are also there, and don't have the same management issues as native Chinese forces.

PS. Enjoying the speculation about Force Z, just out of curiosity, with Crete still in allied hands, would the Italian attack on the BBs in Alexandria still be doable?
Yes but it would be a lot harder than OTL given the greater distance they have to go and all the Allied patrols they have to avoid there is a much greater risk and chance of failure. If anything it maybe burned because of the lack of Crete and the losses the Italian navy has taken up to this point as well as the greater number of vessel for patrol available to the RN.