Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the HRE is China, Britain is India, the Uyghurs are Russia, and the Mamluks are a generic Southeast Asian mega-kingdom?
I have a hunch that the Mamluks are Japan. The geography kinda works, Japan's the only Asian empire in the early 20th Century aside from China with a scale that would fit the Mamluks, and the flag's a moon to parallel the Rising Sun to boot.

The Mamluks and Rum Turks seem to be a reversed Ottoman-Egyptian dynamic even down to Rum being a Khedivate
I have a hunch that the Mamluks are Japan. The geography kinda works, Japan's the only Asian empire in the early 20th Century aside from China with a scale that would fit the Mamluks, and the flag's a moon to parallel the Rising Sun to boot.
The world is where Eastern and Western roles were switched in terms of technology and society with Asian powers taking the top instead of Europe. China, I guess would end up taking its role as Imperial Germany, before the outbreak of the First World War, and what about Korea, by the way?

Well, what happened to Mongols when the PoD begins? I guess the Mongols would fail to conquer Song Dynasty and Ögodei Khan's survival would fundamentally change the course of history.

qazse

Gone Fishin'
Here's a new scenario of mine. This is a 60s-punk world.
8tvqja4iz9oa1.png

xrijhbje4aoa1.png

PRESS RELEASE

The year 2010 saw the emergence of a series of worrisome trends that together present potentially serious threats to the stability of new democracies as well as obstacles to political reform in societies under authoritarian rule. Freedom in the World 2011, the latest edition of Freedom House's annual survey of political rights and civil liberties worldwide, found that the global level of civil and political rights decreased for the first time since the fall of fascist rule in Europe in the 1980s. The reversal has spanned a variety of countries in every region, from long-standing democracies like Sudan, regimes in transit like Germany and Siberia, to consolidated authoritarian regimes like Norway and Manchuria. The overall losses are still shallow compared with the gains of the late 20th century, but the pattern is consistent and ominous.

Okay I feel like a piece of shit because this is something you're obviously passionate about and everyone makes maps like this when they first started (including me!) and so uh let me give you a few pointers:

Get Paint.NET. It's old as shit and so will run on just about anything and will allow you to have pretty text without the artefacts that regular MS Paint will. It'll also give you access to layers which once you get used to are a game changer when it comes to maps.

The geography itself, while viscerally phallic, also is kind of untextured. Like, there are no islands (and that doesn't mean just add one island add a few small ones, see: the Canadian Sheild or Zanzibar). It being connected to a continent is fine but the way it is is kind of abrupt. The line is so smooth it looks artificial which is in opposition to IRL borders which follow mountains or rivers.

Compare with this map of Hoenn
View attachment 816817
There's several small islands, points of interest, varied geography. I'm not saying copy this, but there's some traits that are also kinda useful. Maybe go on Google Maps or Google Earth and look at road maps of places that Pokemon regions are based off of.

Or even compare to the Caspian sea which is the region I think your area looks the most similar to

View attachment 816822

Notice how all of the borders with the ocean are sorta "lumpy" and have a lot of texture.

Otherwise, I dig the names actually. "Vikland" seems like a solid pick for a "Pokemon-ified" Scandinavian area. It's been a while since I played a Pokemon game but iirc they have a lot of other small towns and cities. Maybe you could make a map where you highlighted the major cities that have gyms or the Elite 4 and then others that have smaller settlements. Maybe even add coloured sections that designate what type of pokemon can be caught there?

This five year old what the fuck tutorial I made on WorldA maps is not immediately helpful but many of the concepts I discuss are pretty useful.

I just wanted to commend you for making this Very Good Post in response to someone whose posting was clueless to the point of being indistinguishable from trolling. This is definitely the way people should respond to lower-quality maps in this thread, with helpful feedback.

Is that a Stormlight Archive?
Correctamundo
Currently on the map not including The stormlight archives and in no particular order is westeros, tamriel, the old world, the walls from attack on Titan, the lands between my own personal version of the map, the Avatar world, and it combined version of the first and fourth ages Middle Earth.

Just looking at this makes me nauseous
Working as intended

Status
Not open for further replies.