Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

If Gorbachev does become General Secretary, replacing Romanov (something that seems increasingly likely), I would like to suggest to Mr. President @President_Lincoln that, given the historical divergences of the alternate timeline, the name of Gorbachev's domestic reformist policy should be given the common term or name of Obnovleniye (Обновление, “Renewal”) rather than divided into glasnost ("openness") and perestroika ("restructuring"), just to differentiate from our original timeline.
Love this idea. That sounds like a perfect name for what Gorby aims to achieve.

Hoo boy lots to unpack here.

Well when they put it like that I guess a neutrality policy makes sense.

The con of neutrality.

Uh oh!

It's like the perfect ingredients for a cluster foul-up.

Red flag! RED Flag!!!

That's one way of looking at it.

Of freaking course. This is not good.

That's not surprising.

It's like these men were trying to start a war.

Good move by RFK. Reacting too quickly could have even worse consequences and definitely don't want to make it seem like his calling the shots.

Definitely the right way to handle.it in MO.

Huh, this has to be one of the few times the Soviets and the Americans agreed ITTL.

No pressure.

You know something the Soviets put too much emphasis on image.

Not good!!! Not good at all!!!

Oh no!

Of course they thought wrong apparently that's what the Soviets are good at.

Nothing unites people more than a war with a common enemy.

Well that sounds bleak. Also compared to other countries like the United States I had no idea Sweden's population was much smaller in comparison.

Well we'll well. Look who put their heads in the lions mouth and instantly regretted it. Good for Romanov in getting rid of Gromykmo and Ustinov they should consider themselves lucky. If they had pulled this crap under Stalin he would have probably had them put to death.

That has to be like a weight lifting off his shoulders.

Dang that's a good agreement.

Win win in a way.

Backfired spectacularly is right.

This definitely should help him in the midterms.

And after all that talk of not being humiliated what a shame.

I can't wait for Gorby to become leader of the Soviet Union. I firmly believe he's better than Romanov and a close relationship with RFK can help bring an end to the Cold War once and for all.

Looks like Sweden may become a NATO member way earlier than IOTL. Good let's hope other countries follow in its steps.

Yes let's go!!
Well Mr. President, you have brought us one neck of a chapter. It was tense, thrilling. I found myself holding my breath during some of the paragraphs. It sounds like this is the first step in the Soviets losing the Cold war and the start of Gorby's rise to power, I am looking forward to seeing how that happens ITTL. RFK should get a Nobel prize for this. I will await the next chapter.
Love this commentary! Thanks for your thoughts.

This was a doozy.

I don't have much to say here; I wasn't aware of this incident's existence till today. I'll have to look this up.

This, in my opinion, has dealt a worse blow to the USSR's global image and the nation's morale than Afghanistan ever did. This is because:
01. This happened in Europe, not somewhere near Timbuktu (while the Afghan War is still ongoing ITTL, it isn't in the public consciousness. It wasn't that big of a deal to the West as it isn't literally happening right in front of them.)
02. The Soviets underestimated their enemy and got badly embarrassed. It's the USSR's Vietnam moment ITTL, even more so than Afghanistan was IOTL.

This probably wouldn't stir up sentiments like Vietnam (Cambodia and Rhodesia ITTL) did, because Swan Lake will be playing on Soviet TV 24x7, though I think Radio Liberty, VoA, BBC, DW, and all other Western radio stations will be enough for them.

Good on Gorbi for swooping in, hopefully he is more measured in his actions ITTL and the New Union becomes a reality.
Solid analysis here as well. I agree that this is hugely embarrassing for the USSR. They will definitely take a hit to their prestige.

Considering the habits of the Swedish military to surprise NATO with their abilities at times (interception of a, granted damaged, SR-71 and the entire history of the Gotland in US service) I'm not shocked the Soviets basically put their hands into a woodchipper by trying to engage in a naval war.

This is the Soviet Union, a country that once lost a naval battle to a landlocked country.

Considering the habits of the Swedish military to surprise NATO with their abilities at times (interception of a, granted damaged, SR-71 and the entire history of the Gotland in US service) I'm not shocked the Soviets basically put their hands into a woodchipper by trying to engage in a naval war.

This is the Soviet Union, a country that once lost a naval battle to a landlocked country.
Yeahhhh there are a lot of reasons for the USSR's failure against Sweden here. As mentioned in the chapter, the Soviet system rewards loyalty and orthodoxy over innovation and challenging the status quo. While the Soviets did possess orders of magnitude more men and material than the Swedes, those advantages really only help in a long, or even total war of attrition. In a confined, tactical battle, against an advanced, capable, and highly determined enemy, they fell flat on their faces.

Damn, Sweden wasn’t destroyed 🥲 (Kidding ofc)

Some positive from all of this is that Palme and Bobby will get some positive press. Hopefully both benefit from it come election time!

Damn, Sweden wasn’t destroyed 🥲 (Kidding ofc)

Some positive from all of this is that Palme and Bobby will get some positive press. Hopefully both benefit from it come election time!
So long as Palme avoids being assassinated I'm pretty sure he'll be happy...

Then again, considering the butterflies in South Africa ITTL I'm pretty sure he's safe.

Love this idea. That sounds like a perfect name for what Gorby aims to achieve.
Hopefully, Gorby took power and be able to implement said "renewal" policies fast enough, as the window to implement reforms in the USSR is closing fast. I'm of the opinion that beyond the mid-1980s, reforming the Soviet Union without the entire house collapsing on its own would be, shall we say, very difficult. Some would even say it was virtually impossible. The system is just untenable.

Gorbachev strikes me as a well-intentioned man, but unfortunately, the already advanced terminal symptoms of cancer that rot within the USSR's structure, combined with missteps in the reforms, led to the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Looking back, it's almost a miracle that the dissolution was somewhat peaceful. Many pundits at that time thought that the downfall of the USSR would lead to a violent civil war, with the possibility of nuclear weapons involved.

Hopefully, Gorby took power and be able to implement said "renewal" policies fast enough, as the window to implement reforms in the USSR is closing fast. I'm of the opinion that beyond the mid-1980s, reforming the Soviet Union without the entire house collapsing on its own would be, shall we say, very difficult. Some would even say it was virtually impossible. The system is just untenable.

Gorbachev strikes me as a well-intentioned man, but unfortunately, the already advanced terminal symptoms of cancer that rot within the USSR's structure, combined with missteps in the reforms, led to the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Looking back, it's almost a miracle that the dissolution was somewhat peaceful. Many pundits at that time thought that the downfall of the USSR would lead to a violent civil war, with the possibility of nuclear weapons involved.
Agreed. Even if he comes to power earlier than OTL here, he will still absolutely have his work cut out for him. According to my research, the biggest hurdles to reforming the USSR in the 80s were: the financial difficulties created by excessive spending (especially on defense) which led to staggering, unsustainable budget deficits; entrenched political and military interests who saw any change as a threat to their personal power (and the gravy train of corruption they'd enjoyed for so long); and the repressed yearnings of various ethnicities and nationalities, some of whom really do want to be free from Russian control and domination.

Here are my broad notes on the USSR going forward. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts, if anyone is interested. :)

If Gorbachev is going to stand any chance of saving the Union, I think he'll need to introduce aspects of economic liberalization in order to combat the bureaucratic gridlock and stagnation. I'm not an economist, but I believe that this could look like slightly more radical versions of the reforms he attempted IOTL. He could scrap production quotas, reduce government subsidies, and allow state run companies to set their own targets and control their own production and distribution (so long as they can meet direct orders given by the state). In the short term, this will butcher the Soviet economy. Without those subsidies, many of the state-run enterprises will go bankrupt. But, if he combines this policy with suitably massive reductions in government spending on defense (say, by signing Strategic Arms Limitation Treaties with RFK's America), withdrawing from Afghanistan, and ending Soviet support to communist countries and movements around the globe, then he might be able to free up budget to ensure enough social welfare spending to help the Soviet people survive this shock to the system.

The Soviets' greatest geopolitical advantage is their natural resources. From my research, as of 1982, they control roughly 30% of the world's natural gas reserves and massive oil quantities as well. Even as America ITTL covers itself with domestic/western hemisphere production and reduces demand for fossil fuels with renewables, Europe, East Asia, and other markets are still going to be thirsty for cheap energy to fuel their booming economies. If Gorby is wise, he can (at least in the short term) use warmer relations with the West and key investments in the energy sector to turn the USSR into Europe's primary energy supplier. Then, once those oil and gas revenues start pouring in, he can begin to close the USSR's budget deficit, and focus on reforming other aspects of the nation's economy, making new investments in light and heavy industry, etc. The difficult part is making that transition, however.

Fantastic update! Here’s hoping Sweden joins NATO.
Cheers! :D Glad you enjoyed.

What's the timeline on how long he'll have before it's too late.
Exactly this, it wasn't that Gorvachev didn't try hard enough to reform he just ran out of time and some of his decisions just weren't the right one's.

If Gorbachev is going to stand any chance of saving the Union, I think he'll need to introduce aspects of economic liberalization in order to combat the bureaucratic gridlock and stagnation. I'm not an economist, but I believe that this could look like slightly more radical versions of the reforms he attempted IOTL. He could scrap production quotas, reduce government subsidies, and allow state run companies to set their own targets and control their own production and distribution (so long as they can meet direct orders given by the state). In the short term, this will butcher the Soviet economy. Without those subsidies, many of the state-run enterprises will go bankrupt. But, if he combines this policy with suitably massive reductions in government spending on defense (say, by signing Strategic Arms Limitation Treaties with RFK's America), withdrawing from Afghanistan, and ending Soviet support to communist countries and movements around the globe, then he might be able to free up budget to ensure enough social welfare spending to help the Soviet people survive this shock to the system.
Yes! Yes! to all this. Sure this may be radical for the hardliners but you know what I say, go big or go home. I think Gorby is smart enough to know that by the time he comes to power that things need to change for the Soviet Union and they need to change dramatically even if it pisses off the hardliners.
The Soviets' greatest geopolitical advantage is their natural resources. From my research, as of 1982, they control roughly 30% of the world's natural gas reserves and massive oil quantities as well. Even as America ITTL covers itself with domestic/western hemisphere production and reduces demand for fossil fuels with renewables, Europe, East Asia, and other markets are still going to be thirsty for cheap energy to fuel their booming economies. If Gorby is wise, he can (at least in the short term) use warmer relations with the West and key investments in the energy sector to turn the USSR into Europe's primary energy supplier. Then, once those oil and gas revenues start pouring in, he can begin to close the USSR's budget deficit, and focus on reforming other aspects of the nation's economy, making new investments in light and heavy industry, etc. The difficult part is making that transition, however.
Those are all great ideas. I don't know how realistic this all is but I think it's crazy enough to work.

After reading this update involving seeing the Soviets ITTL make an utter hash with Sweden, it is so damn fitting after watching this video regarding a certain Russian navy adventure that I can't stop laughing at.
Why do I feel we're going to see videos like this ITTL regarding the Soviet/Sweden war over how the Soviets made themselves look like fools?

Agreed. Even if he comes to power earlier than OTL here, he will still absolutely have his work cut out for him. According to my research, the biggest hurdles to reforming the USSR in the 80s were: the financial difficulties created by excessive spending (especially on defense) which led to staggering, unsustainable budget deficits; entrenched political and military interests who saw any change as a threat to their personal power (and the gravy train of corruption they'd enjoyed for so long); and the repressed yearnings of various ethnicities and nationalities, some of whom really do want to be free from Russian control and domination.

Here are my broad notes on the USSR going forward. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts, if anyone is interested. :)

Cheers! :D Glad you enjoyed.
Am liking those alternate Gorby ideas.

The main reason that Gorby's reforms failed were he fundamentally didn't understand how the Soviet finance system worked. The Soviet economy was incredibly complicated and when he tried to push his reforms through it just failed. Now the main source I'm drawing from for this point is Collapse the Fall of the Soviet Union by Vladislav M. Zubok, and any quotes I use will be from that unless I say otherwise.

The initial reform in 1987 took the form of the Law on State Enterprises Zubok argues that "The Law undermined the old stabilizing and controlling mechanisms of the Soviet economy, above all the role of the Party. For many decades the Party had exercised a controlling role in every major economic unit in the USSR. The enterprise leaders were members of the Party and its nomenklatura. From now on, the head of an enterprise was to be elected by “a collective” of workers and employees. He could no longer be fired from above. At the same time the reform did not generate a true liberalization and revival of the economy. An economist from Stanford University, Mikhail Bernstam, a Soviet émigré, explained later that the Law was “de-centralization, and the erroneous one.” The problem wasn't that the reforms weren't radical enough it was that they were running in the wrong direction. In my personal opinion as someone who has read into the Soviet Union if you want to unfuck it post-Brezhnev Andropov represented perhaps the best bet. Yet we haven't reached the big problem. I'm going to just quote directly from the book here because it puts it so well.

Gorbachev’s reforms also began to endanger the financial stability on which the economic and political unity of the Soviet Union rested. Gorbachev knew little about the Soviet budget, revenues, and financial mechanisms. When in 1983 he asked Andropov to have a look at the state budget, he received a firm “no.” Meanwhile, the Soviet financial system was not an easy matter for a novice to grasp. It had no analogues in the world and was born of necessity—the product of wars, total mobilization, and absolute political dictatorship. In the Soviet Union, there were two kinds of money in circulation. One currency was virtual and was called beznal, which means “cashless.” It was a completely virtual accounting system between the state and state enterprises. All investments,
credits, and other big transactions in the Soviet economy were paid by beznal. This money resembled issue bills and letters of credit in a market economy, yet the Soviet beznal was never meant to be cashed. The second kind of money was in nal (cash): banknotes and coins issued by the State Bank. They were used to pay salaries and wages to Soviet people, to pay in state stores, and for goods and
services of the “shadow economy” and on the black market. The total amount of nal was loosely related to the amount of production and the cost of labor.
Only a few professional bankers in the Soviet Union understood how this system worked. And meanwhile this unique system was vital for Soviet macro-economic stability. The Soviet state could spend many billions of beznal money for financing big projects, and yet the inflation of cash—and prices of consumer goods and services—remained more or less under control. The profits from state enterprises could not be translated into cash. Even at the most difficult moments of history, such as during World War II, the Soviet financial system had not broken down.
[...]

All enterprises had to have double bookkeeping. They were strictly forbidden to use beznal allocations for salaries and wages. And they were not allowed to buy industrial equipment and raw materials with cash. Those had to be paid for only with beznal money provided from the central budget. Also, state leaders and institutions made sure that the accumulation of cash in savings accounts would not grow disproportionately; if it did, it would begin to chase goods, and people began to hoard them. In 1947 and in 1961, the Soviet state had to carry out secretly prepared monetary reforms to reduce the volume of money in circulation. Another painful measure could be to increase state-fixed prices. This system of state control over capital allowed people’s salaries and savings to increase gradually, but only so long as production increased and its efficiency improved.
Now Gorby's reforms meant that companies were able to transfer beznal into nal. Which was a key factor in the economic collapse of the late 80's. Fundamentally any more radical reform is just going to make things go worse than IOTL, and OTL was hardly rosy. I've seen some claims of Russian excess morality post-USSR reaching 7 million during the 90's. Any hopes of a major ecenomic reform saving the USSR by going towards market reforms immeditaly will fail.
On an aside Soviet foregin policy for most of the cold war was built off the basic princple of avoiding the mass-slaughter of the Second World War, which is where you get stuff like the Stalin note from. National trauma in the USSR from the war was massive 25% of the population of Belarus died, at the end of the day the Soviets were highly unlikely to start a major European war.

The main reason that Gorby's reforms failed were he fundamentally didn't understand how the Soviet finance system worked. The Soviet economy was incredibly complicated and when he tried to push his reforms through it just failed. Now the main source I'm drawing from for this point is Collapse the Fall of the Soviet Union by Vladislav M. Zubok, and any quotes I use will be from that unless I say otherwise.

The initial reform in 1987 took the form of the Law on State Enterprises Zubok argues that "The Law undermined the old stabilizing and controlling mechanisms of the Soviet economy, above all the role of the Party. For many decades the Party had exercised a controlling role in every major economic unit in the USSR. The enterprise leaders were members of the Party and its nomenklatura. From now on, the head of an enterprise was to be elected by “a collective” of workers and employees. He could no longer be fired from above. At the same time the reform did not generate a true liberalization and revival of the economy. An economist from Stanford University, Mikhail Bernstam, a Soviet émigré, explained later that the Law was “de-centralization, and the erroneous one.” The problem wasn't that the reforms weren't radical enough it was that they were running in the wrong direction. In my personal opinion as someone who has read into the Soviet Union if you want to unfuck it post-Brezhnev Andropov represented perhaps the best bet. Yet we haven't reached the big problem. I'm going to just quote directly from the book here because it puts it so well.

Now Gorby's reforms meant that companies were able to transfer beznal into nal. Which was a key factor in the economic collapse of the late 80's. Fundamentally any more radical reform is just going to make things go worse than IOTL, and OTL was hardly rosy. I've seen some claims of Russian excess morality post-USSR reaching 7 million during the 90's. Any hopes of a major ecenomic reform saving the USSR by going towards market reforms immeditaly will fail.
On an aside Soviet foregin policy for most of the cold war was built off the basic princple of avoiding the mass-slaughter of the Second World War, which is where you get stuff like the Stalin note from. National trauma in the USSR from the war was massive 25% of the population of Belarus died, at the end of the day the Soviets were highly unlikely to start a major European war.
God Almighty, I knew the Soviet economy was unique, but reading your post, I think I may have severely underestimated just how unique and byzantine said economy is. How to straighten such an economy into something sustainable for the future is beyond me.

If Gorbachev is going to stand any chance of saving the Union, I think he'll need to introduce aspects of economic liberalization in order to combat the bureaucratic gridlock and stagnation. I'm not an economist, but I believe that this could look like slightly more radical versions of the reforms he attempted IOTL. He could scrap production q, uotas, reduce government subsidies, and allow state run companies to set their own targets and control their own production and distribution (so long as they can meet direct orders given by the state). In the short term, this will butcher the Soviet economy. Without those subsidies, many of the state-run enterprises will go bankrupt. But, if he combines this policy with suitably massive reductions in government spending on defense (say, by signing Strategic Arms Limitation Treaties with RFK's America), withdrawing from Afghanistan, and ending Soviet support to communist countries and movements around the globe, then he might be able to free up budget to ensure enough social welfare spending to help the Soviet people survive this shock to the system.

One critical step Gorbi must take once he gets into power is sending most of the Politburo into retirement. This is authoritarian, but a nation cannot make any important decisions if the decision-makers are dropping dead like dominoes. Maybe he promotes good-performing lower officials to the Politburo, and he introduces a mandatory retirement age, of 65 maybe.

The thing he must avoid is democratizing too soon. Maybe Chernobyl is butterflied, but the people cannot have open access to information during the restructuring. That is the only way I see to avoid our timeline's collapse.

With the policies he takes, I mostly agree. Though, about the vested interests, I think he would stick the KGB to 'take care' of the military interests and sloppy bureaucrats.
Once he's pulled out of Afghanistan, ended support for Soviet satellites and communist movements worldwide, signed the SALT agreements and removed state quotas, he will transform the USSR to an export focussed economy, mostly natural resources (Australia comes to mind here), and weapons.

Once people have their basic needs met and it is guaranteed that the USSR will not collapse can Glasnost actually happen. This will happen sometime in the early 90s, I think.

One critical step Gorbi must take once he gets into power is sending most of the Politburo into retirement. This is authoritarian, but a nation cannot make any important decisions if the decision-makers are dropping dead like dominoes. Maybe he promotes good-performing lower officials to the Politburo, and he introduces a mandatory retirement age, of 65 maybe.
Mostly agreed, but I think it's not just that its members are dropping like dominoes but also that the Politburo is one of the primary bastions of the conservative elements of the Soviet government. Those who are more likely to oppose anything that looks like a reform of the system. I think Gorbachev is more likely to promote good-performing lower officials to the Politburo than introduce a mandatory retirement age.

The thing he must avoid is democratizing too soon. Maybe Chernobyl is butterflied, but the people cannot have open access to information during the restructuring. That is the only way I see to avoid our timeline's collapse.
I completely agree on this.

With the policies he takes, I mostly agree. Though, about the vested interests, I think he would stick the KGB to 'take care' of the military interests and sloppy bureaucrats.
This depends on whether the KGB chairman is an ally of Gorby or not.

Once he's pulled out of Afghanistan, ended support for Soviet satellites and communist movements worldwide, signed the SALT agreements and removed state quotas, he will transform the USSR to an export focussed economy, mostly natural resources (Australia comes to mind here), and weapons.

Once people have their basic needs met and it is guaranteed that the USSR will not collapse can Glasnost actually happen. This will happen sometime in the early 90s, I think.
I think this direction is the general consensus on reforms, which is nice and well, but while not impossible, it is certainly very difficult to achieve. As Waltzing Brunhilda and the credible sources he used stated, the Soviet economy is unique and very byzantine.