Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

For Billy Graham, him being uncomfortable with the LGBT+ Community isn’t surprising to me at all and while I myself am a member of said community (I’m aroace…and also an E+C Catholic) I also understand why he is uncomfortable with us — we fly smack dab in the face of his cherished beliefs and morals for just one example. Furthermore as long as his views towards us doesn’t move beyond being uncomfortable then I hold no ill will towards him or those like-minded individuals. If the most he does during his congregations/sermons is pray for the Lord’s “lost and confused children” and then that’s fine with me. It’s when it goes into “fire and brimstone” type rhetoric, gets violent, or entirely discriminatory and oppressive is when we have a problem.

As for abortion, I have no opinion one way or the other on the topic. So I’d neither be for or against his views on the subject.

Randomly idea for later down in the timeline: apparently Charles Barkley (who it should be noted was once part of the Republican party) planned to run for Governor of Alabama. What if he actually went through with those plans?

For Billy Graham, him being uncomfortable with the LGBT+ Community isn’t surprising to me at all and while I myself am a member of said community (I’m aroace…and also an E+C Catholic) I also understand why he is uncomfortable with us — we fly smack dab in the face of his cherished beliefs and morals for just one example. Furthermore as long as his views towards us doesn’t move beyond being uncomfortable then I hold no ill will towards him or those like-minded individuals. If the most he does during his congregations/sermons is pray for the Lord’s “lost and confused children” and then that’s fine with me. It’s when it goes into “fire and brimstone” type rhetoric, gets violent, or entirely discriminatory and oppressive is when we have a problem.

As for abortion, I have no opinion one way or the other on the topic. So I’d neither be for or against his views on the subject.
That's my feeling too, I'm not a member of the LGBT+ community but I'd like to think I'm very much an affirming ally. One of the most interesting things about Billy Graham that I've found is that unlike other evangelists who do use the "Fire and brimstone" tactic he went the other way. He tried to get people to accept christ by showing God's love to people in a loving and affectionate way (Maybe those aren't the right words to use but I feel like that best describes it.) The only time I've ever read of him mentioning homosexuality was that he did believe it was a sin but he also said that pride was a sin, jealously was a sin, and hate is a sin, etc. and he later said that being gay should not be the overwhelming sin that pastors or evangelist focus on.

So yeah I can't imagine him ever going into violent rhetoric, or talk that would promote discrimination or oppression. Abortion is a complicated topic for me, because personally I'm against it. But politically I believe it's not my right to tell a woman what to do with her body.

Mr. President, you're on a roll again and an another surprise but impressive chapter on President RFK's Domestic News and Politics in 1982 ITTL. I didn't even know that "No Nukes Now" started in this decade? I thought it was in the 90's just after The Cold War Era IOTL. The music concert was also something I've never heard of but must have skipped that part in music history? Anyway, Jackson Browne, Joan Baez, James Taylor, and Linda Rondstadt were made people sing-along with them. With the arrival of Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, it made everyone applaud loudly throughout the night when it was happened at Central Park in New York City. While few Americans are in favor of nuclear disarmament, Republicans, some Democrats, and even President RFK were disagree at this time with the Cold War still heating up. Hoping that President RFK passed another SALT Treaty like IOTL later on his second term ITTL to put the fear, scare, and paranoia into rest. I wonder if Elvis Presley, The Beatles, and other musicians were in favor of nuclear freeze or not?

The 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville, Tennessee were just like IOTL but there were some changes ITTL. The push of Renewable Energy since President Udall is in full swing by the 80's ITTL, hoping also for President RFK to push the country to put more funds in using clean energy now that The Seven Sisters broke up. The town brought improvements in tourism, economy, including transport infrastructure so that everyone can visit the fair. Truly an another successful, memorable, and impactful World's Fair to all of whom became part of the event.

Being a Non-American, I've always heard of this "The Great Awakening" and I don't know if all of this matters to every Americans? The New South are improving in the previous decade to make their cities livable, moving away from their terrible past in favor of a better future, and Evangelical Christianity were on the rise with Rev. Billy Graham as the leading charismatic figure of the movement and became a spiritual advisor to every US President since Truman. Good thing that Rev. Graham accepted President JFK late in his term after in favor to oppose him due to being a Roman Catholic during The 1960 US Presidential Election IOTL. His endorsement of RFK for US President in 1980 ITTL was a surprise for me, until he became uncomfortable due to support LGBT+ Community and Abortion. With The So Have I Movement happening ITTL, I'm wonder what would happen to Rev. Graham, Pope Stanislaus, and other leaders of religion? Would they change their views now that the social landscape were changed or not?

Finally, the economy finally recovered and sustained growth after The Seesaw Seventies thanks to "The Kennedynomics" ITTL. "Peace and Prosperity" was the party's new slogan heading to The 1982 US Midterm Election and eventually to The 1984 US Presidential Election ITTL. With President RFK having a success in both foreign and domestic policy, I think the Democrats would clean sweep the election and both control the Senate and Congress. I have a question for you Mr. President, would President RFK battling The Yuppie Culture ITTL? I don't know if it still exists ITTL, but this would be an interesting fight of his political career. You still forgot about The Second Bill of Rights that he promised to bring jobs to millions of Americans during The 1980 US Presidential Election ITTL.

Well geniuses, looks like we're off to The Hårsfjärden War. The Soviets against the Swedish is something we look forward to in the next chapter updates. I'm wondering if ABBA would be affected by this conflict or not ITTL? You still haven't made an official chapter update on the Nordic Countries, some Slavic Countries, Southern Europe, other countries in Africa, some Southeast and Central Asian Countries, and the rest from Australia and Oceania. Please don't tell us that your going to post the next chapter tomorrow on my timezone. I don't know how many vacant days you have, but we're just surprised every time and always bring smiles to ourselves.

Please forgive me to respond at this late time due to having a busy schedule throughout the day and only at night that I'm doing this. I just hate when something interrupts your planned schedule and have to deal with it just to get this over with. Once again, I'm impressed with your chapter!
Excellent update, Mr. President. I must say that the evolution of religion in the United States is fascinating ITTL. Different (especially with no Pro-GOP and so-called Moral Majority forming and Evangelicals evenly distributed in both parties) and yet still recognizable from the point of view IOTL. Bobby Kennedy really struck a chord with many Americans, being very religious but at the same time supportive of progressive social causes. As for the effects of Kennedy-nomics, I think the United States in the 80's ITTL economically would also be different and yet still recognizable from the point of view IOTL, with prosperity returning but the methods of achieving it being vastly different from IOTL. The fate of certain economic hubs and urban centers as well as the state of the national infrastructure would also be somewhat different.
Cheers! 😁 That's definitely my goal with the 80's ITTL. I think to some extent, the 80's were always going to be a bit of a reaction to the turbulence and upheaval of the Late 60's and 70's. Albeit ITTL, those upheavals are squarely associated with the GOP, rather than Liberalism as a whole. The New Deal/New Frontier Coalition gets to have one final triumph before it must ultimately evolve into ITTL's Sixth Party System (which is still coming with the gradual awakening of Conservatism, mark my words). But what will the new dynamics of US Politics look like headed into the Late 80's and 90's and Beyond ITTL? Stay tuned. 😉
Looking forward to it Mr. President!
Never forget what Barry Goldwater said about Jerry Falwell (I may have posted this in the first part, too): "Every good Christian should kick Jerry Falwell in the ass."

Senator Goldwater is one of the more interesting figures in American History --he supported Gay Rights towards the end of his life, among other things (if Gay Rights is mentioned, I hope Goldwater gets a mention; he did this before it became a big issue)...
Definitely 😁 I believe that as Goldwater embarks on the twilight of his career, he could very well found a "Libertarian" branch to ITTL's GOP. Maybe he passes the torch to Ron Paul and other Like-Minded Republicans. The GOP here is in a bit of an identity crisis, divided between multiple wings: Romney-ite Moderates; Neoconservatives; Paleoconservatives; and so forth.
I didn't even know that Senator Goldwater was in favor LGBT+ Rights towards the end of his career in office. I'm impressed! Maybe the Republicans would be in shock that he's supporting this cause, now I'm wondering what would his fellow members of the party would say? Libertarian Republicans you say? Well alright then genius!
Interesting, very interesting. Once again, I would like to congratulate you sir on creating a hopeful and better timeline but still within the bound of realism.

Also, i may have stated this in the thread before, but the progression of RFK's Presidency makes me think that by 1984 ITTL, there is a potential that a "It's Morning in America" election campaign commercial would also be broadcast nationwide, but unlike IOTL, it was released by RFK's Presidential Campaign ITTL. The advertisement showcased a series of visuals depicting Americans heading to their jobs, accompanied by a serene and hopeful voiceover. This narration implied that the positive changes in the U.S. Economy since The 1980 US Presidential Election were the result of policies implemented by The Second Kennedy Administration, such as progressive taxes, income redistribution, comprehensive public services, universal healthcare, social security, labor rights, antitrust laws, social justice, and so on. A comparison would also be made to "The Wonder Years" of The First Kennedy Administration (JFK). It asked voters why they would want to vote Republican and return to the unstable "Seesaw Seventies."
There's a STRONG possibility that this will essentially be RFK's pitch for his reelection campaign. 😁
I second that suggestion geniuses! Keep it up for The 1984 US Presidential Election ITTL! Kennedy-Bentsen 1984: Peace and Prosperity!
Hey, guys.

I don't know if any of you remember me, but I was on this forum nearly two years ago and I remember posting a comment where I showed my undeniably rather rude impatience (as was pointed out) with the thread's creator not delivering a link I was eager to see yet. Back in 2022, I was a very emotionally immature person who just lacked the ability to understand that not every creator has the time necessary to update a thread and whatnot.

That same year, when I got called out for it, I know now that I deserved it, but at that time, I felt like I made everyone mad. Plus, I feel like I gave a rather pathetic apology that didn't even cut it. I can't even bother to go back and look at those first three comments I made... It just gives me bad memories every time I think about it.

Well, it's been nearly two years since I was on this site. I believe I've changed and have a better understanding of giving people time and being more patient, so on and so forth. I don't really expect to be forgiven, and I'm not here looking for attention of any kind. But either way, I'm genuinely sorry for the way I initially behaved on this thread. Had I been perhaps a little more mature, then I would not have made that comment in the first place. It's truly not like me to be rude to people, especially online...

Also, @President_Lincoln, I just want to say that I really love the timeline you've been crafting on this thread since 2017. It's very beautifully written, and I can't wait to see you post the next update. But, do take your time. I know I had been an impatient person in the past, but I've learned I shouldn't push people for updates. That's all I have to say. Love your work!
Welcome back to the thread. Who doesn't cheer for the return of a reformed person?! I can only agree with you: This TL continues to be among the best on this forum, excellent world-building and writing by @President_Lincoln, but also an awesome community of readers commenting very civilly and friendly. As far as I am concerned, I am glad you joined these ranks, and let's let bygones be bygone!
Well it's good that you're back in this thread again with wisdom, maturity, and understanding of yours. Like what they all say "Patience is a virtue." We're looking forward to have your discussion, opinion, and response here in the future genius.
Randomly idea for later down ITTL: Apparently Charles Barkley (who it should be noted was once part of the Republican Party) planned to run for Governor of Alabama. What if he actually went through with those plans ITTL?
The Charles Barkley of NBA? I've never heard of this information until today that he's planning to run for office? Well if you're going to ask me geniuses, maybe he'll start to plan this after NBA Retirement. For starters, he has both the charisma and humor that he'll be used during the campaign. What would be his views on the issues of the day ITTL? If he goes to this plan, he may never be part as host and sports commentator at NBA on TNT with Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith, and later Shaquille O' Neal. Their humor and bonding makes them irreplaceable and hard to imagine who would fill his shoes as host. Magic Johnson did became as host for a brief time in the 2000's IOTL. Whatever you're planning for Barkley and his political career ITTL is anybody's guesses and predictions now, I'll let you geniuses here decide if we're going forward for this or not? Mr. President, it's your call.

Last edited:
The only time I've ever read of him mentioning homosexuality was that he did believe it was a sin but he also said that pride was a sin, jealously was a sin, and hate is a sin, etc. and he later said that being gay should not be the overwhelming sin that pastors or evangelist focus on.
And I mean, in Christianity the general position is you literally can’t be alive without sinning and all you can do is try to minimise it. So if being gay isn’t an overwhelming sin…in that worldview, logically it could be deemed OK ultimately if the people are good Christians otherwise (save themselves for marriage, do charitable works, etc.)

And I mean, in Christianity the general position is you literally can’t be alive without sinning and all you can do is try to minimise it. So if being gay isn’t an overwhelming sin…in that worldview, logically it could be deemed OK ultimately if the people are good Christians otherwise (save themselves for marriage, do charitable works, etc.)
Yeah nowadays it really all depends on what denomination you are.

> fantastic economy
> foreig policy approved of
> liberal without moderate voters tut-tutting

I smell profit these midterms!
It's possible that the Democrats could even break the long-standing truism that the incumbent party virtually always loses seats in the midterm elections. Given that they already have majorities in both chambers of Congress, if I were in the GOP, I would be very worried about the rudderless nature of my party. The Republicans need to find a coherent message to rally behind and soon if they want to represent anything besides "the party in perpetual opposition". Again, they are working on this. Will they pull it together in time to prevent a bloodbath in the midterms? That is the question.

Wonder how the 1982 World Cup goes about here? Any changes of note as the prospect of an England vs Argentina match so soon after the Falklands war was a terrifying prospect for FIFA especially if both had reached the final which thankfully never happened.

Still, it is an amusing thought and maybe we could see the USA host the 1986 World Cup instead of Mexico as IIRC they did consider it following Colombia pulling out and maybe with a different government here, maybe they'll be willing to do it? Could have interesting butterfly effects if for the US men's team.
Interesting questions! I admit to needing to do a bit more research before I write up anything official on this front. Would you be interested in writing a guest post, @QTXAdsy ? Or anyone else, for that matter?

An update😀😀 only five days after the last one. You are on a row @President_Lincoln and I can't say how much I love this chapter because it is astronomical.

Wow a million people?!!! That's incredible, demonstrations like this give me hope for humanity.

Lot of good and famous performers coming out in support of nuclear disarmament including one of my personal favorites James Taylor (I could listen to Carolina on my mind whenever.) It's nice to read about Bruce Springsteen and his classics. I imagine that Born in the USA was a lot more personal ITTL considering that he himself is a veteran of Cambodia.

I can imagine Joseph Smith looking down and just smiling with joy.

Billy Graham speaks the truth here. This one of the reasons why Graham is one of it not the only evangelist that I have respect for. He didn't try to bring politics and religion together.

I figured that without Falwell's so called "Moral Majority" that Reagan would have a much harder time on the religious level. Hopefully this helps keep religion out of the mainstream of politics because whether your religious or not there's a reason why the founding put the first amendment in the constitution. And of course it's nice to see Graham support RFK and we'll with his being uncomfortable of RFK's support of pro-choice and acceptance of LGBT people well in this instance Graham really was a man of his generation.

Wow 5.02% that's an insane amount of growth.

Booming economy anybody.

I love that slogan.

What I love about this is that as similar as it is to OTL it is so different. Reagan's policies weren't even as successful as this at first I mean by the time the midterms came around for him the economy was still very bad. It's great to hear how even They don't agree with RFK on everything they still see that he does well on economic issues and his foreign policy. What's truly impressive to me is that even though RFK is a liberal at heart he knows how to make himself sound conservative so that it doesn't seem like he's rushing change. I am so looking forward to the midterms to see just how well the democrats do.

Oh no. What now?

I shall await for the next chapter. Great job Mr. President.
Thank you kindly! Glad you enjoyed. :)

Hey, guys.

I don't know if any of you remember me, but I was on this forum nearly two years ago and I remember posting a comment where I showed my undeniably rather rude impatience (as was pointed out) with the thread's creator not delivering a link I was eager to see yet. Back in 2022, I was a very emotionally immature person who just lacked the ability to understand that not every creator has the time necessary to update a thread and whatnot.

That same year, when I got called out for it, I know now that I deserved it, but at that time, I felt like I made everyone mad. Plus, I feel like I gave a rather pathetic apology that didn't even cut it. I can't even bother to go back and look at those first three comments I made... It just gives me bad memories every time I think about it.

Well, it's been nearly two years since I was on this site. I believe I've changed and have a better understanding of giving people time and being more patient, so on and so forth. I don't really expect to be forgiven, and I'm not here looking for attention of any kind. But either way, I'm genuinely sorry for the way I initially behaved on this thread. Had I been perhaps a little more mature, then I would not have made that comment in the first place. It's truly not like me to be rude to people, especially online...

Also, @President_Lincoln, I just want to say that I really love the timeline you've been crafting on this thread since 2017. It's very beautifully written, and I can't wait to see you post the next update. But, do take your time. I know I had been an impatient person in the past, but I've learned I shouldn't push people for updates. That's all I have to say. Love your work!
Welcome back! I'm thrilled to have you return to us. Good on you for working on yourself, growing and learning from the experience and coming back. Thank you for the kind words. :)

Welcome back to the thread. Who doesn't cheer for the return of a reformed person?! I can only agree with you: This TL continues to be among the best on this forum, excellent world-building and writing by President Lincoln, but also an awesome community of readers commenting very civilly and friendly. As far as I am concerned, I am glad you joined these ranks, and let's let bygones be bygone!
You're too kind. Agreed, the community that has built up around this project never ceases to amaze me. Thank you all for being the best readers a guy could ask for!

That's my feeling too, I'm not a member of the LGBT+ community but I'd like to think I'm very much an affirming ally. One of the most interesting things about Billy Graham that I've found is that unlike other evangelists who do use the "Fire and brimstone" tactic he went the other way. He tried to get people to accept christ by showing God's love to people in a loving and affectionate way (Maybe those aren't the right words to use but I feel like that best describes it.) The only time I've ever read of him mentioning homosexuality was that he did believe it was a sin but he also said that pride was a sin, jealously was a sin, and hate is a sin, etc. and he later said that being gay should not be the overwhelming sin that pastors or evangelist focus on.

So yeah I can't imagine him ever going into violent rhetoric, or talk that would promote discrimination or oppression. Abortion is a complicated topic for me, because personally I'm against it. But politically I believe it's not my right to tell a woman what to do with her body.
Interesting analysis here. I agree with both of you.

Say what you want about Graham (and I do believe that he was far from perfect in his views on some things), I do believe that Graham truly believed in what he preached. He has always struck me as a genuine person, able to empathize and connect with people, even if he felt that parts of their identity contradicted his beliefs. While obviously the "hate the sin, love the sinner" mentality still implies that homosexuality (or other queer identities, etc.) are "sinful" and something to be ashamed of, it is still a step on the path toward greater tolerance for people who are different. Graham won't promote outright discrimination or oppression of LGBT+ folks, favoring toleration and a sort of "live and let live" approach. He will be criticized for that by more radically reactionary evangelicals, but I'd like to think that TTL's Christianity can be more of an even split between social progressives and social conservatives.

As for abortion... Yeah, that's one of those issues where it's hard to find common ground. Bob Kennedy and the Democrats will try to keep the issue from being controversial with the "safe, legal, and rare" approach (similar to OTL), which, to be fair, does reflect the views of the average American ITTL. Conservatives will latch onto this, however, and try to use it as a wedge to pry socially conservative voters (especially Catholics) away from the Democrats' coalition. Bobby having a magic name (for Catholic Americans, especially Irish Americans), being personally devout, and able to bridge divides between different groups will likely keep Catholics in his column come 1984. But what about 88, when Bobby can't run again? I suspect that this could get very interesting for them, very quickly...

Randomly idea for later down in the timeline: apparently Charles Barkley (who it should be noted was once part of the Republican party) planned to run for Governor of Alabama. What if he actually went through with those plans?
That could be very interesting. Maybe in the early 2000s as a moderate Republican?

This is a question that has been nagging in the back of my mind and I figured go ahead and ask. So here goes....

Lewis Powell. A Supreme Court Justice who in OTL, wrote a memorandum in 1971 that opined that American free enterprise was under attack and called for those same businesses to become aggressive in molding society's thinking when it came to business, government, politics and law. Some have said that the memo and subsequent decisions by the court led to the Citizens United case and later ruling that corporations are "people".

So my question(s) are.... Does Powell even exist ITTL? Does he write the memo? If he does, what ramifications does it have?

I also wonder if someone who is far better than I at creating ATL's would do one with whether the memo gets written or not as the POD. I think it would be interesting.

This is a question that has been nagging in the back of my mind and I figured go ahead and ask. So here goes....

Lewis Powell. A Supreme Court Justice who in OTL, wrote a memorandum in 1971 that opined that American free enterprise was under attack and called for those same businesses to become aggressive in molding society's thinking when it came to business, government, politics and law. Some have said that the memo and subsequent decisions by the court led to the Citizens United case and later ruling that corporations are "people".

So my question(s) are.... Does Powell even exist ITTL? Does he write the memo? If he does, what ramifications does it have?

I also wonder if someone who is far better than I at creating ATL's would do one with whether the memo gets written or not as the POD. I think it would be interesting.
Powell was never appointed to the Court ITTL. Thus, this memo does not exist, though a similar one could have been written by a different justice, possibly. Here is the current Supreme Court (as of 1982):

Chief Justice Paul A. Freund - JFK appointee, since 1968 (Liberal)
Associate Justice Warren Burger - Romney appointee, since 1972 (Conservative)
Associate Justice Byron White - JFK appointee, since 1962. (Moderate)
Associate Justice Arthur Goldberg - JFK appointee, since 1962. (Liberal)
Associate Justice Carla Anderson Hills - Bush appointee, since 1975 (Moderate)
Associate Justice William Rehnquist - Romney appointee, since 1972 (Conservative)
Associate Justice Patricia Wald - RFK appointee, since 1981 (Liberal)
Associate Justice Thurgood Marshall - JFK appointee, since 1967. (Liberal)
Associate Justice William Brennan - Eisenhower appointee, since 1956. (Liberal)

You know speaking of LGBTQ+ tolerance @President_Lincoln is there a chance that with RFK being embracing of the community and helping them right aids could the butterflies for that include the forgoing of the mean spirited laws from OTL like don't ask don't tell or the defense of marriage act?

You know speaking of LGBTQ+ tolerance @President_Lincoln is there a chance that with RFK being embracing of the community and helping them right aids could the butterflies for that include the forgoing of the mean spirited laws from OTL like don't ask don't tell or the defense of marriage act?
Possibly. :) I will say that earlier toleration in popular consciousness/culture could lead to earlier acceptance as well. That said, the pendulum does swing back. When the forces of conservatism finally awaken from their slumber, they will push back against all this progress. The question is: how well can tolerance/acceptance be ingrained so that there isn't backsliding among the average American?

Possibly. :) I will say that earlier toleration in popular consciousness/culture could lead to earlier acceptance as well. That said, the pendulum does swing back. When the forces of conservatism finally awaken from their slumber, they will push back against all this progress. The question is: how well can tolerance/acceptance be ingrained so that there isn't backsliding among the average American?
I guess it depends on who the next republican president is. If it's a moderate like Shirley Temple Black or another I could see them be like, "Leave well enough alone." But if the next republican is anything like Reagan then I guess we could expect them to try to pass laws like that.