Lord of the Rings starring the Beatles, Directed by John Boorman, Ralph Bakshi and Stanley Kubrick

Part 1
Point of Divergence: Tolkien sells the rights of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to United Artists in 1967 instead of 1969. He also ends of dying in a car crash the same year and never get wind of the idea of the Beatles starring in an adaptation of his works and never has time to critize or shut down any ideas regarding such a project. Additionally instead of making Magical Mystery Tour the Beatles take a different path in the film industry.

It was 1967 and the Beatles had just starred in a new film: The Daleks Chase through Time and Space! Peter Cushing has starred in two adaptations of the Doctor Who Dalek episodes and naturally a third film was being developed when Gordon Flemyng and Milton Subotsky(Director and Screenwriter of the first two films) were approached for a new idea. The Beatles wanted a role in the film, not just as a cameo but to play their younger selves from 1964 and be companions to Dr. Who and his granddaughter. Orginally the Beatles were supposed to make a cameo in the original "Chase" episode but it ended up just being a clip of them playing. Flemyng and Subotsky went with the idea and had Dr. Who take his granddaughter to the Beatles preforming, but the Beatles end up in the Tardis trying to escape crazy fangirls. Ringo accidentally sets the Tardis in flight and the Daleks end up tracing them through a hillarious set of adventures from distant planets to midevil England. The most striking thing about the script was that it wasn't a musical, and the only song the Beatles preform is when they go back to "The caveman days" and play on primitive instruments for a brief moment. After the film was a massive sucess more Peter Cushing films were put into the works, and upon being offered the role as the actual Doctor for the television series after Troughton, he took it! The Beatles decided that they wanted to do more films; paving the way for the Yellow Submarine, but additionally John Lennon set his eyes on a massive project, the Lord of the Rings.

Last edited:
Excalibur used some of the leftovers of the propsed Beatles LOTR film, so it points to what might have been.
Excalibur is a cool film, but I can't say it would fill me with confidence for LOTR. Personally, I'd rather a Yellow Submarine style animated version.

If the Beatles LOTR did go ahead, I could see a more serious attemp later on - as per Dune and Dune.

Ramontxo

Donor
Part 1
Point of Divergence: Tolkien developes cancer to help pay for medical bills he sells the rights of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to United Artists in 1967. He dies in 1968 and never get wind of the idea of the Beatles starring in an adaptation of his works and never has time to critize or shut down any ideas regarding such a project. Additionally instead of making Magical Mystery Tour the Beatles take a different path in the film industry.

It was 1967 and the Beatles had just starred in a new film: The Daleks Chase through Time and Space! Peter Cushing has starred in two adaptations of the Doctor Who Dalek episodes and naturally a third film was being developed when Gordon Flemyng and Milton Subotsky(Director and Screenwriter of the first two films) were approached for a new idea. The Beatles wanted a role in the film, not just as a cameo but to play their younger selves from 1964 and be companions to Dr. Who and his granddaughter. Orginally the Beatles were supposed to make a cameo in the original "Chase" episode but it ended up just being a clip of them playing. Flemyng and Subotsky went with the idea and had Dr. Who take his granddaughter to the Beatles preforming, but the Beatles end up in the Tardis trying to escape crazy fangirls. Ringo accidentally sets the Tardis in flight and the Daleks end up tracing them through a hillarious set of adventures from distant planets to midevil England. The most striking thing about the script was that it wasn't a musical, and the only song the Beatles preform is when they go back to "The caveman days" and play on primitive instruments for a brief moment. After the film was a massive sucess more Peter Cushing films were put into the works, and upon being offered the role as the actual Doctor for the television series after Troughton, he took it! The Beatles decided that they wanted to do more films; paving the way for the Yellow Submarine, but additionally John Lennon set his eyes on a massive project, the Lord of the Rings.
An interesting question, except for the POD.

Point of Divergence: Tolkien developes cancer to help pay for medical bills he sells the rights of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to United Artists in 1967
1713346810470.jpeg

Excalibur used some of the leftovers of the propsed Beatles LOTR film, so it points to what might have been.
Excalibur is a cool film, but I can't say it would fill me with confidence for LOTR. Personally, I'd rather a Yellow Submarine style animated version.

If the Beatles LOTR did go ahead, I could see a more serious attemp later on - as per Dune and Dune.
I think they would have had an easier time making the Hobbit into the film in reality.