President Reagan assassinated in 1981

I know there have already been several threads about this already but I wanted to explore what would happen if John Hinckley Jr. successfully killed Ronald Reagan in 1981.
I think it's interesting to imagine exactly how a newly sworn-in President Bush would hit the ground running and how events would proceed from there. So this is how I imagine it starting out:
Sources at George Washington Hospital have confirmed President Ronald Reagan died late last night. Following the shocking events on Monday when President Reagan and three other men were shot and wounded by a lone attacker, the president was rushed to the hospital for emergency care. President Reagan's operation was considered routine and his doctors were said to be hopeful about his chances of recovery. The president's condition, however, soon took a turn for the worse during the post-op when he developed a fever that was suddenly followed by an unexpected heart attack. Despite every effort being made to save him, President Ronald Reagan was pronounced dead at 11:27 PM; leaving behind his wife, his children, and a mourning nation. Mrs. Reagan has yet to speak on where and when a state funeral for her husband will take place.

Last edited:
Here's another thing from me. I'm going to be sending out more like the one above from time to time. Basically something you'd hear on NPR, like this:
Vice President George Herbert Walker Bush has formally been sworn in as the 41st President of the United States. The ceremony was held privately at about 12:09 AM in the Roosevelt Room with Judge Harold Greene administering the oath of office. Officials state he will be addressing the White House Press Corps in an hour.

Last edited:
I know there have already been several threads about this already but I wanted to explore what would happen if John Hinckley Jr. successfully killed Ronald Reagan in 1981.
I think it's interesting to imagine exactly how a newly sworn-in President Bush would hit the ground running and how events would proceed from there. So this is how I imagine it starting out:
Sources at George Washington Hospital have confirmed President Ronald Reagan died late last night. Following the shocking events on Monday when President Reagan and three other men were shot and wounded by a lone attacker, the president was rushed to the hospital for emergency care. President Reagan's operation was considered routine and his doctors were said to be hopeful about his chances of recovery. The president's condition, however, soon took a turn for the worse during the post-op when he developed a fever that was suddenly followed by an unexpected heart attack. Despite every effort being made to save him, President Ronald Reagan was pronounced dead at 11:27 PM; leaving behind his wife, his children, and a mourning nation. Mrs. Reagan has yet to speak on where and when a state funeral for her husband will take place.
i Believe there will still be an attempt to rebuild the economy and the military, would it sell as easily without the great communicator?

Bush once used the term "voodoo economics" for Reagan's proposals, so many elements of Reaganomics will not be implemented. Supply and demand will cause prices for fuel and real estate to level (or fall) in 1983, assuring a second term for Bush in 1984. If the unearned income tax rate still peaked at 70%, fewer million-dollar lotteries would emerge.

Back in the day a story circulated that Hinkleys older brother and one of Bush sr sons were having a lunch meeting when the assassination was attempted. I wonder if that & other stories would become significant after the assassination?

Back in the day a story circulated that Hinkleys older brother and one of Bush sr sons were having a lunch meeting when the assassination was attempted. I wonder if that & other stories would become significant after the assassination?
I feel like when major unexpected assassinations like this happen it is almost inevitable that some kind of conspiracy theories will pop up from it.

That was an interesting day. I was assigned to the Scout Platoon of the Old Guard. We along with the MPs provided a STT (Special tactics team, think SWAT) element for the goverment buildings in D.C. We had just came back from a run we were doing personal hygiene, when the news flashed on the TV the president has been shot. We wre placed on Alert on the spot, drivers dispatched to get out Gun Jeeps and ammo, Everyone else go to the Arms room and draw weapons (Shotguns, Sniper Rifles, pistols,M16s, and yes M60 machine guns) Then we sat around watched Al Haig's "I'm in charge speech" wondered WTF was he talking about were is Bush right now. Spent the rest of the day like everyone else wondering what was going on.

Al Haig's I am in charge moment I think is what got the real conspiracy stuff started. At the time he was an Ex-Mil as Reagan's Chief of Staff.

2000 president will Increase his security at maximum

So for this update, I'm going to focus on President Bush's relationship with the press and the public.
In his first briefing with the White House Press Corps, President George Bush talked about the importance of transparency in government and engagement in journalism. He described the government and the press as being "pillars of trust" to the American public that can't exist without each other. President Bush singled out the C-SPAN television network for praise, thanking its reporters for their hard work and vigilance in covering President Reagan's last days. He also offered his complete and full support to the doctors and surgeons of George Washington Hospital, naming it as his hospital of choice in emergencies. The president ended the briefing by announcing that he would be inviting White House news correspondents to attend weekly administration meetings during the transition. A notable special guest at this press conference was ABC News anchorman, Frank Reynolds who was personally invited by the president and met with him privately afterward. President Bush was also reported to have offered a group of tourists to join him later for some Chinese food.

Last edited:
How would this affect the social security net and mental health and education systems in the U.S. and abroad (considering Reagan screwed it up and indirectly encouraged other countries to follow in those footsteps)?

Maybe the Republicans will accept some kind of gun control as their President was murdered.

It will be interesting to calculate the number of US Presidents assassinated to evaluate if it not represented their first cause of death.

Maybe the Republicans will accept some kind of gun control as their President was murdered.

It will be interesting to calculate the number of US Presidents assassinated to evaluate if it not represented their first cause of death.

During my brother's standup days (1987-88), he used to have a routine:

"Everyone here knows about the Zero Curse, right? Presidents elected in a year ending in zero die in office. Roosevelt, Kennedy, Lincoln... but not Reagan! Did he escape the curse?

Or is it now merely transmissible?

Has anyone noticed how many Russian Premiers have died lately...

'Yes, Yuri! We'd love to have a peace talk, but first... how about a hug?

'Constantin Chernenko... SHAKE HANDS WITH DEATH...'"

I'll be getting into Ronald Reagan's funeral in this one.
Former First Lady Nancy Reagan announced the state funeral for President Ronald Reagan would take place on April 7th at the Washington National Cathedral. The President's body currently lies in repose in the East Room of the White House's Executive Residence for a private ceremony with his family and their close friends. As per his final will, President Reagan is to be interred at Rancho del Cielo, his vacation home in the Santa Ynez Valley, California. Various foreign dignitaries, members of Congress, state governors, and former officials at the federal and state levels are expected to attend the funeral in Washington. Attendants to the burial service in California include members of the Screen Actors Guild, veterans from both the 323rd Cavalry Regiment and the 18th AAF Base Unit as well as local public servants from the Democratic and Republican parties; Other notable invitees include the President's former Hollywood colleagues and co-stars, such as Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, and Doris Day.

Last edited:
GHW Bush might try to balance th budget. That would change the Economy. Dems might win in 84
Prices for fuel and real estate accelerated inflation before 1981. When the prices stopped rising (or fell) in 1983-84, the incumbent president (or his party) was guaranteed another term.

With the mental health and social welfare systems not facing the threat of being gutted, what will happen to the disability and autistic rights movements?

With the mental health and social welfare systems not facing the threat of being gutted, what will happen to the disability and autistic rights movements?
Hopefuly better funding will be used for autonomy. As a chair user I abhore neglect, but fear also paternalism of experts flush with cash and drunk on power.