What if Marlborough crushes Villars and the French at the battle of Denain 1712

Any thought if John Chrurchill Duke of Marbrough is offred the command of the Dutch troops after his dismissal by the British.

During the war campaign of 1712 Marlborough accepted the overall command of the Dutch troops around April 1712.
This would give a rather akward tension in the Alloied command since the British where now commanded by Ormonde . The later also had secret orders to not to engage the French.
When the British were forced to open their cards as in OLT , Marlborough position and autorithy restored.
Let asume the Allied campaign went as in OTL and the Allies under Eugene of Savoy and Marborough make the same desicions.
Arras was bombared by the Dutch in March 1712 and the French provisions were burned. Unfortunatly due to a delay of the Austrian troops Arras could not be taken and the victory exploited.
the British contigent was forced to retreat to Dunkirk due to the separate peace the British made with France.
The Dutch and Austrians, the main contributors of the Allied forces started the siege of Landrecies
Denain was the fortyfied village at the crossing over the river Scheldt between the, long, line of supply between the siege and the supply base Marchiennes.

Now what if the troop movement of Villars was notified in the early hours of the 23 July. Marlborough conviced Eugene to take half o f the siege force and to move back to Denain re-inforcing the Dutch.
Marborough, after a forced march , could place his troops behind the re-inforced lines of communication ( earth works and stockade)
These allied lines were only discovered when the French cavalery investigated these communication line.
The battle who followed saw the utter destruction of the French army and imprisonment of Villars.
The victory was the ultimate revenge for Marlborough toward his British adversaries.

In the months after the battle the Allied forces successful took Landcresies, Chambrai and Arras. During the winter the French country was harrased by looting bands of Allied troops.

How would a peace treaty will look like?

Maybe Austria can push harder for their claims in Alsace and Strasbourg? I'm not sure how much else would change, everyone generally got what they wanted at Utrecht.

Louis XIV would be forced to use his troops to dethrone Philip V and the Dutch barrier would include a lot more towns who would also be included within the Austrian Netherlands
Would it be? This would give the Habsburg a it too much influence? I know the demand to remove Philip V was the reason of the failing peace talks earlier.
would it be include Arras?

Last edited:
I was wondering if it was possible that Marlborough could be hired by the Dutch State General. Not regarding monney but if the British would allow him

Would it be? This would give the Habsburg a it too much influence?
You are right. Forgot about Leopold's death. It is difficult to say what would have happened. Maybe Phillip V would keep his throne anyway, while France would be forced into more concessions instead.

I don't think the Dutch Barrier would be extended to include Arras. The Brits and Austrians already saw the 1709 terms as very generous and even had trouble accepting the Barrier Treaty of 1715. But it would probably include towns like Lille and Maubeuge. Towns that were to be part of the Barrier in the negotiations of 1709.

I was just wondering, if Villars was defeated at Denain, and the supplies of the French for the comming battle season were destroyed earlier what the remaining allies would do. Since Villars could take several cities in the months after Denain, I thought Marlborough could do the same and with Arras as a finishing touch.
And since the British essential betray the Allies, I was wondering if Arras, Graveline and Dunkirk could be part of the barrier cities as well. Something was stipulated in the agrement of 1709.

Last edited:
And since the British essential betray the Allies, I was wondering if Arras, Graveline and Dunkirk could be part of the barrier cities as well. Something was stipulated in the agrement of 1709.
Not sure. The British would still be able to influence peace talks, even if they had betrayed the Allies. And the Dutch needed the British to support them against the Austrians when it came to the implementation of the Barrier.

Barrier cities including with Dunkirk, Gravelines and Arras would make military mire sense. Although this would defacto means annexation of the surrounding lands of these cities. Further there would be Halle close to Brussels, Damme next to Bruges and 2 forts close to Antwerp. The British objected the 3 lines of Barrier cities and the control of trade these barrier cities would pose. The Austrians objected to the defacto control the Republic had over these regions. A peace deal like this would give Republic a different first half of the 18th century