Ravenna, the midwife of Europe

Ooh, I really liked this latest update! Especially since I had been wondering recently how different Christianity might have looked if the hammer hadn't come down so hard on Pelagian ideas so soon after they were brought up. And this TL does an excellent job at making an alternate path seem very plausible for the time; excellent work!

Ooh, I really liked this latest update! Especially since I had been wondering recently how different Christianity might have looked if the hammer hadn't come down so hard on Pelagian ideas so soon after they were brought up. And this TL does an excellent job at making an alternate path seem very plausible for the time; excellent work!
Thank you. As an inexperienced person, I have the impression that very few, both in the eastern and western churches, had fully understood the implications of Pelagius' thought and some theologians, such as Julian of Jerusalem, were even inclined to consider Augustine a heretic, considering his position on Grace and on Original Sin too steeped in Manichaean thought... In this foggy context, the question of Pelagius' condemnation as a heretic was more political, relating to the dispute between Zosimos and the African church, than theological... Therefore, Pelagius had a good chance to get away with it... The problem is that sooner or later the issues would have come home to roost: so, in the medium term, someone in the Nicaean church would have realized the consequences of Pelagian theology and would have condemned it...

ITL in the late antiquity that I am building, in which the various versions of Christianity, while glaring at each other, are forced to coexist, the Pelagian excommunication would have a very limited impact... It would have been considered a minority variant of Nicean Christianity...

Uff, that was pretty dense. I confess to not being very up to speed on the Pelagian Controversy and what little I know I just quickly read up on Wikipedia, but I do hope that Augustine will throw himself even harder into his writing and the development of his teachings.

Uff, that was pretty dense. I confess to not being very up to speed on the Pelagian Controversy and what little I know I just quickly read up on Wikipedia, but I do hope that Augustine will throw himself even harder into his writing and the development of his teachings.
Augustine’s contributions to Western Philosophy can be divided into two parts - - the nature of sin and the nature of time; his writings on the former became church orthodoxy OTL, which doesn’t look like it’s going to happen TTL.

Augustine’s contributions to Western Philosophy can be divided into two parts - - the nature of sin and the nature of time; his writings on the former became church orthodoxy OTL, which doesn’t look like it’s going to happen TTL.
I know what Augustine wrote about, it’s Pelagius whose writings I’m unfamiliar with.

As for Augustine’s teachings, just because it doesn’t become orthodoxy does not mean that it wouldn’t be incredibly influential and influencing people down the line. The very same arguments and messages that made him such an important church father would still resonate with large swaths of the Christian communities, even if he would have more rivals.

I know what Augustine wrote about, it’s Pelagius whose writings I’m unfamiliar with.
This is how I understand the Pelagian-Augstinian Dispute: the former holds the people have complete free will, meaning that we all are born innocent and that all sin and evil in the world is the result of choices we make, and that God's Forgiveness (or justification) comes to those who sincerely repent of their sins; the latter holds that when Adam and Eve sinned, they fundamentally changed human nature (Original Sin), rendering us unable to chose good and compelling us to sin, and that justification can only be achieved by God's Grace, and is disbursed (or withheld) according to His Will.
That's my (less than novice) impression, anyway.

On the subject of Augustine's contributions to Western Philosophy -- one (possibly very) idea I've been having, is would it be possible for a fifth (or sixth) century philosopher to build on similar ideas about the nature of time and eternity, and provide a conception of something like the Multiverse to the minds of late antiquity? Or would that just be a little too out there?

@Gateis and @John Fredrick Parker in my opinion, Augustine's role will not be diminished, both because the books written before 417, starting with the City of God, will continue to have a fundamental role in Nicean theological reflection, and because, OTL the Catholic doctrine of Grace is a sort of compromise between Pelagius and Augustine and is the result of a long, tiring and controversial process of convergence between forms of semi-Augustinianism and variants of semi-Pelagianism, which begins in the 6th century and ends in Medieval Scholasticism. While the break between Augustine and Pelagius is clear, for those who are not familiar with theological details, for example between the semi-Pelagianism of Cassian and the semi-Augustinism of Prospero for example not all this difference appears.

This is because the main concern of semi-Augustinianism and semi-Pelagianism is to safeguard human freedom and
to protect Christian doctrine from the risk of fatalism, as if Augustinian predestination were not consistent with sovereignty covenant of the biblical God, did not respect man's responsibility according to biblical doctrine and could instead lapse into a form of pagan Manichaeism.

Compromise can be summarized in these points

• Original sin prevents Man from the full use of free will.
  • Baptism is presented as the act through which free will is restored.
  • Grace, although necessary, is not considered irresistible and predestination is even stigmatized with an anathema.
Consequently, the priority of grace is juxtaposed with the necessary cooperation of human free will and further supported by the centrality of the sacrament of baptism. Paradoxically, Luther's thought is nothing more than the return to the hard and pure Augustinian doctrine.

ITL this process, given that Zosimos decided not to decide and therefore both the opinions of Augustine and Pelagius are both "orthodox" with the Nicean doctrine, takes place well in advance and already in the VI we could have the equivalent of the Catholic doctrine of Grace. Obviously, due to the influence of Pelagius, the value of original sin being weakened OTL, ITL the Marian dogmas could be different: the Immaculate Conception, Mary being born without original sin, for example, would have much less value and therefore the related dogma may not be proclaimed.

Furthermore, the dialectic between Pelagianism, understood as a branch of thought of Nicean Christianity, and other variants of Christianity would be accentuated. Now, if Monophysitism which recognizes the sole divinity of Christ and erased his humanity, would not be affected, Miaphysitism and Nestorianism would be led to reflect more on the human component of Christ and his subjection to Original Sin (if it does not cancel the possibility of Salvation and the Knowledge of the Good, unlike OTL it cannot be excluded a priori). Finally, to avoid these problems, Arianism could explicitly affirm the ontological difference not only of the nature of the Father from that of the Son, but between the nature of the Son and that of the angelic powers and of humanity, which would bring it closer to some forms of gnosticism

That's my (less than novice) impression, anyway.

On the subject of Augustine's contributions to Western Philosophy -- one (possibly very) idea I've been having, is would it be possible for a fifth (or sixth) century philosopher to build on similar ideas about the nature of time and eternity, and provide a conception of something like the Multiverse to the minds of late antiquity? Or would that just be a little too out there?

It is little known, but the theme you mention was discussed OTL throughout the Middle Ages, from the 5th century up to Scholasticism, as a collateral effect of the reflection on the Omnipotence of God. It all starts from a banal question: God can change the past ? If he couldn't change it, he means that there is something he can't do and therefore he is not omnipotent and this conflicts with his divine nature.

Connected to this, but less immediate, is a reflection derived precisely from Augustinian thought, on not attributing to the divine mind the need to use exactly the same categories as the human mind. I am certainly imprecisely translating a reflection by Prospero Minor a semi-Augustinian theologian of the 6th century

Men are prisoners of Time: they are chained to the past, present and future. Now, being in Time there is no possibility of modifying or canceling past actions, because a present action of the will cannot manifest itself backwards. There is no doubt about this. But to say that God must succumb to the same impossibility is an act of pride.

If God is the creator and master of Time, Lord of Alpha and Omega, it goes without saying that He is outside and above Time: for him there is no past, present and future, because there are it would undermine his Nature and his Freedom. That is, what seems to us irreversibly consigned to non-becoming, the past, is not concluded at all and indeed is not even separable from what comes after. separation is the work of our limited senses, which makes what is, instead, intimately connected and cohesive appear autonomous and separate

How did medieval philosophers position themselves? The first answer is: God can do everything, including changing the Past: the logical consequence, from Prospero to Duns Scotus to William of Ockham, is that since divine power is infinite and unconstrained, there are infinite worlds, each distinguished by individual contingencies.

The other is the one that goes from Anselm of Aosta to Saint Thomas Aquinas: God can do everything, but he doesn't want to do it, because he decides to respect the rules that he gave to the Universe, starting from the principle of causality .

Since the Church has not considered any of the ideas canonical, a Catholic can calmly believe, without appearing to be a heretic, in the existence of the Multiverse 😁

ITL precisely because of the major and anticipated theological debate, the first thesis, on the infinite creation of God, could easily be the dominant vision!

Last edited:
It is little known, but the theme you mention was discussed OTL throughout the Middle Ages, from the 5th century up to Scholasticism, as a collateral effect of the reflection on the Omnipotence of God. It all starts from a banal question: God can change the past ? If he couldn't change it, he means that there is something he can't do and therefore he is not omnipotent and this conflicts with his divine nature.

Connected to this, but less immediate, is a reflection derived precisely from Augustinian thought, on not attributing to the divine mind the need to use exactly the same categories as the human mind. I am certainly imprecisely translating a reflection by Prospero, a semi-Augustinian theologian of the 6th century

Men are prisoners of Time: they are chained to the past, present and future. Now, being in Time there is no possibility of modifying or canceling past actions, because a present action of the will cannot manifest itself backwards. There is no doubt about this. But to say that God must succumb to the same impossibility is an act of pride.

If God is the creator and master of Time, Lord of Alpha and Omega, it goes without saying that He is outside and above Time: for him there is no past, present and future, because there are it would undermine his Nature and his Freedom. That is, what seems to us irreversibly consigned to non-becoming, the past, is not concluded at all and indeed is not even separable from what comes after. separation is the work of our limited senses, which makes what is, instead, intimately connected and cohesive appear autonomous and separate

How did medieval philosophers position themselves? The first answer is: God can do everything, including changing the Past: the logical consequence, from Prospero to Duns Scotus to William of Ockham, is that since divine power is infinite and unconstrained, there are infinite worlds, each distinguished by individual contingencies.

The other is the one that goes from Anselm of Aosta to Saint Thomas Aquinas: God can do everything, but he doesn't want to do it, because he decides to respect the rules that he gave to the Universe, starting from the principle of causality .

Since the Church has not considered any of the ideas canonical, a Catholic can calmly believe, without appearing to be a heretic, in the existence of the Multiverse 😁

ITL precisely because of the major and anticipated theological debate, the first thesis, on the infinite creation of God, could easily be the dominant vision!
I can tell you’ve put a lot of time into researching the timeline, it’s honestly impressive.

Now I have a question regarding Honorius and how to interpret him until know.

Honorius doesn’t have an heir which Athaulf and Galla Placidia solved for him. Except of course he hasn’t accepted that (yet?), I imagine both out of a chauvinistic feeling of superiority over the half-German and anger at someone trying to push an heir on him.

Anger I can understand, after all he cannot allow for an alternative centre of gravity to develop in the Empire, for his sake and the sake of the state.

However, he isn’t married at the moment and it doesn’t look like he is attempting to position anyone else as heir or co-ruler at the moment which begs the question of why.

Is he holding back on whatever plans he might have because he knows any overt action would put the alliance between him, his sister and his brother-in-law into question, and admit it or not, they need each other at the moment or is he just not thinking about it (perhaps because he is thinks he is young and has time) and is currently just running on spite?

Last edited:
I can tell you’ve put a lot of time into researching the timeline, it’s honestly impressive.

Now I have a question regarding Honorius and how interpret him until know.

Honorius doesn’t have an heir which Athaulf and Galla Placidia solved for him. Except of course he hasn’t accepted that (yet?), I imagine both out of a chauvinistic feeling of superiority over the half-German and anger at someone trying to push an heir on him.

Anger I can understand, after all he cannot allow for an alternative centre of gravity to develop in the Empire, the his and the sake of the state.

However, he isn’t married at the moment and it doesn’t look like he is attempting to position anyone else as heir or co-ruler at the moment which begs the question of why.

Is he holding back on whatever plans he might have because he knows any overt action would put the alliance between him, his sister and his brother-in-law into question, and admit it or not, they need each other at the moment or is he just not thinking about it (perhaps because he is thinks he is young and has time) and is currently just running on spite?
There are three reasons. The first is that Honorius knows he is in a position of weakness, both politically and militarily, towards Athaulf and Galla Placidia: to act he needs to have a stable empire and a fairly efficient army. Despite the successes of 417, he knows well that he is still far from the objective and therefore he stalls... The second is any nominated heir, for example a Flavius Castinus, not having the possibility of relating to the imperial family, would have a problem of legitimacy and it would risk no longer being the symbol around which the loyalty of the Roman provinces coagulates, which would risk falling apart in a short time, recreating the situation that OTL occurs at the death of Valentinian III. Honorius is sharp enough to foresee this situation. The third reason is in the stone guest of this TL who has not yet appeared: the branch of the Theodosian dynasty in Constantinople, which is obsessed with having a relative on the Western throne. Think about what happened in OTL to Flavius Constantius: despite his marriage to Galla Placidia, he was not recognized by Theodosius II as co-emperor... The war between Pars Orientis and Pars Occidentis was only averted by the death of Flavius Constantius. Or to the events of Giovanni Primicerius, whose kingdom was overthrown by Theodosius II, to put Valentinian III, who was his nephew, on the throne.

ITL the only thing he can do is get married for the third time, in the hope that he is not the one who is sterile... One of the candidates, who would allow him to strengthen his position in Rome and enrich the coffers of the empire, could being Anicia Eunomia, the daughter of Anicius Probinus, who among other things had been a collaborator of Theodosius I (obviously if there are alternative proposals, I will gladly evaluate them!)

I am certainly imprecisely translating a reflection by Prospero, a semi-Augustinian theologian of the 6th century

I am blown away by your research into this subject; this TL is an absolutely impressive contribution to the AH community. My hats off to you, sir.

Also, would this quoted figure be Prosper of Aquitaine by chance?

I am blown away by your research into this subject; this TL is an absolutely impressive contribution to the AH community. My hats off to you, sir.

Also, would this quoted figure be Prosper of Aquitaine by chance?

I suspect that the good Lord, in that period, had a particular sense of humor, since we have three Prospers, all followers of Augustinian theology. The first is Prospero of Aquitaine, who you mentioned; he was a man of extraordinary culture and intelligence and he lived between 390 and 463 and who will probably appear later, since his life is fascinating.

The second is Prospero of Reggio, bishop of the Emilian city, of whom we have very little information and many legends, whose death is placed between 466 and 480,who has the reputation of summoning the fog..

The third is Prospero of Neapolis or Minor, of whom we have a commentary on book XI of Augustine's Confessions, which is the one I quoted, who "floriut" around 510; probably whose bones, mistaken for those of an alleged martyr, first ended up in Novi Ligure, then in the Roman catacombs of Santa Priscilla... Unless of course there was also a fourth Prospero, who we hope, at least him, was not passionate about Augustinian theology 😁

Being serious, I'm going to correct the previous post, in order to avoid confusion between all these homonyms

I suspect that the good Lord, in that period, had a particular sense of humor, since we have three Prospers, all followers of Augustinian theology. The first is Prospero of Aquitaine, who you mentioned; he was a man of extraordinary culture and intelligence and he lived between 390 and 463 and who will probably appear later, since his life is fascinating.

The second is Prospero of Reggio, bishop of the Emilian city, of whom we have very little information and many legends, whose death is placed between 466 and 480,who has the reputation of summoning the fog..

The third is Prospero of Neapolis or Minor, of whom we have a commentary on book XI of Augustine's Confessions, which is the one I quoted, who "floriut" around 510; probably whose bones, mistaken for those of an alleged martyr, first ended up in Novi Ligure, then in the Roman catacombs of Santa Priscilla... Unless of course there was also a fourth Prospero, who we hope, at least him, was not passionate about Augustinian theology 😁

Being serious, I'm going to correct the previous post, in order to avoid confusion between all these homonyms

The famous last words... I didn't know, but a fourth Prospero actually exists, it dates back to the 4th century, but net of the medieval multiplication of relics, it's not the one buried in Rome

And what should make me laugh, he is also buried in Sicily and part of the relics are in the church of Sant'Orsola in Palermo, a stone's throw from my house!

From what I read, I fear that there is a rather crazy story behind it: they brought the relics of one Prospero from Rome to Sicily, and then replaced them with those of the other Prospero, taken from Liguria:oops::oops:

09 Art, propaganda and power
09 Art, propaganda and power

Colonna.jpg

At first glance, for all the protagonists of the complex political game being fought at the top of the Pars Occidentis, the campaign in Hispania had been a success. Athaulf, with his victories, had consolidated his prestige as warrior king of the Goths and as protector of the Empire and had ensured a decently stable inheritance for his son Theodosius. Honorius had recovered a rich province, thus helping to achieve his goal of restoring the state coffers and had demonstrated how his army could still be fearsome, strengthening his position. The Roman senatorial nobility, seeing how Giovanni Primicerio had respected, thanks to the Iberian loot, the deadline for the first repayment installment of the loan, including interest, rejoiced at the success of his investment.

But everyone was aware that what had been achieved was nothing more than a compromise, which would last only as long as the two parties had an interest in it. If Honorius was patient until he had the resources to overthrow the hated Goths, the issue among the foederati was very different: if the Burgundians and Alans were calm, more out of fear of the Goths than of the Romans and the Suebi were faithful to the Empire, in the hope to protect them from the Vandals, Gundericus was waiting for the right opportunity to tip the balance in Hispania to his advantage.

In the meantime, however, while waiting for the storm to return, all the elites of the Pars Occidentis, in one way or another, tried to celebrate the victory, to reassure themselves and the people. The most moderate, due to his prudence and his pessimism about the City of Man, which led him to consider the glory of the world as vain and transitory, was Anicius Probus, who politically decided to give a blow to the circle and one to beating, so much so that in February 418 he gave the order to erect two monuments.

In the Roman Forum, on a base in white Luni marble, decorated with statues representing the Spanish provinces, he had a fluted Corinthian column [1] erected in front of the rostra, [2] in Proconnesian marble, at the top of which was placed a statue of Honorius, still preserved, in which the emperor was portrayed in a rather realistic way, with a long face, a large, aquiline nose, full lips, a weak chin and a well-groomed beard. Exaggerating his role as commander, he wears a military dress and carries in his left hand the labarum with the Christogram and the globe surmounted by Victory, in the other scepter and shield.

On the base of the column, Anicius Probus had the following inscription placed

Optimo clementissimo piissi]moque
principi domino nostro
Honrio imperatori
perpetuo a deo coronato, triumphatori
semper Augusto
[3]

Then, to celebrate Athaulf and Flavius Castinus, Anicius Probus had a new type of monument erected in the garden of the Forum of Peace, which will have great success in the future both in Rome and in Constantinople, generically called Trophy: it is a circular base, where between two frames decorated with phytoform elements there were metopes representing the events of the Iberian campaign, separated by statues of barbarians, whose appearance recalled the Dacian prisoners who decorated the Arch of Constantine and Trajan's Forum.

Daci.jpg

Above the circular base, there were the statues of Athaulf and Flavis Castinus, in a symmetrical pose reminiscent of the Tyrannicides group. [4]Both are represented in armor and with a gesture of the adlocutio, with which a speaker addresses his audience starting his speech: Athaulf holds a cross in his other hand, while Flavius Castinus holds a small winged victory.

The statues of Honorius, Athaulf and Flavius Castinus are fully part of the so-called "Theodosian Renaissance", whose elites at the beginning of the 5th century, in order to legitimize themselves and propose themselves as heirs and restorers of imperial traditions, tried to resume, in a citationist and aulica, the artistic language of classical antiquity. Unlike what happens in Constantinople, the sculptural workshops of the Esquiline had a direct and in-depth knowledge of Greek and Roman works: therefore in Roman statues and bas-reliefs there is greater attention to the rendering of anatomy and proportion and a less expressionist tension. As in Constantinople, however, the Roman sculptors accentuated, almost in a baroque manner, the attention to the drapery, which seems to have a life of its own and the contrast between empty and full, light and shadow.

Given that the attention of Roman sculptors was concentrated on the human figure, the backgrounds and architectural volumes, in the reliefs, are almost non-existent and stereotyped; at the same time, due to the influence of Gothic art, the frames have an overflowing decoration, with an almost obsessive attention to vegetal and animal elements, in which elements taken from Sasanian art also appear.[5]

Meanwhile, at the beginning of March 418, Galla Placidia erected the Basilica of San Giovanni Evangelista in Mediolanum, [6] to celebrate Athaulf's victory and to respect the commitment made with the bishop of Milan to replace the Portian Basilica returned to the Arians. Officially, Galla Placidia had vowed to build the new basilica in the event of her husband's victorious return, but in practice, taking up the plan and model of the Roman basilica of the Santissimo Salvatore, she proposed the Lombard city as "Alter Rome", an alternative to Ravenna. Another break with local tradition, compared to the churches commissioned by the Milanese bishops, was the fact that the church, as in Rome, was dedicated to a single saint, compared to categories, such as the Basiloca Virginorum.

To justify this innovation, in the 8th century, the chronicler Agnellus, author of the Liber Imperialis Mediolanensis, [7] recounts the so-called miracle of the sandalwood, which will be represented in 1300 by Jacopino da Tradate [8] in the Gothic portal of the Basilica: according to legend, on the eve of the consecration of the basilica, Galla Placidia, assisted by the Nicean bishop of Mediolanum Marolo, is keeping vigil in prayer before the altar; Saint John the Evangelist suddenly appears and is incensing the basilica with his censer, and who, before disappearing, leaves the prostrate Augusta a pontifical sandal as his relic for the consecration of the temple.

Thanks to recent archaeological excavations, we have managed to reconstruct the original appearance of the Basilica of San Giovanni: the façade was decorated with a narcete and enormous blind arches, similar to that of the Palatine Hall in Trier. Additional rooms projected laterally from the narthex as in many fifth-century churches in Greece and on the coasts of Asia, and were probably topped by towers. Inside, the basilica took up the layout of Roman churches, with the characteristic division into three naves ending with an apse (central nave), diaconicon (left nave) and prothesis (right nave), without transept, to accentuate the impression of an immense and continuous space. The roof of the naves, covered with exposed wooden trusses, are divided by two rows of twelve columns each; the columns in Proconnesian marble present, in addition to the Corinthian capital, also a high pulvino in the shape of inverted truncated pyramids, which currently represents the first example of this architectural element in the Pars Occidentis. The naves are illuminated by large windows, their walls they are articulated on the outside by pilasters.

A reference to local tradition is in the taste for the large arches that frame the windows as in San Sempliciano in Milan, as well as the polygonal apse, externally hendecagonal and internally semicircular, with a trussed roof and seven single-lancet windows interspersed with marble columns. Two isolated rooms that protrude from the naves towards the east may have been martyrs' chapels, as they resemble the protruding rooms of the coasts of Cilicia rather than the lateral rooms of the churches of Syria. The floor, again imitating the Roman models, was made up of large rectangular slabs, arranged in a 'mat' and connected by strips of green porphyry which formed swastikas in the corners.

But Galla Placidia's real innovation was in the apse, where Augusta prepared an unprecedented representation of imperial propaganda: under dedication in large capital letters it ran along the semicircle of the triumphal arch [9]

GALLA PLACIDIA AVGVSTA PROSE ET HIS OMNIBVS HOC VOTVM SOLVI

there were twelve portraits of her ancestors and relatives depicting the dynasties of Valentinian and Constantine the Great, thus demonstrating the right of Galla Placidia and especially her son Theodosius to imperial authority. His grandfather, Valentinian I and his uncle Gratian led the section on the left, while Constantine, his father Theodosius I and his half-brothers Honorius and Arcadius were on the right. Each of them was defined as divine, divus, a usual attribute for emperors. In this sequence, the portrait of Athaulf was an exception, indicated as rex, precisely to indicate with a hint of perfidy, in this Galla Placidia was a worthy sister of Honorius, just as the Goth received his legitimacy from his marriage to the Augusta. Galla Placidia, in addition to remembering her brothers who died at a young age, Gratian and John, had little Theodosius represented, larger than the others, precisely to reaffirm his legitimacy as heir of the Empire, identified with the inscription of nobilissimus puer .

Also because, as Anicius Severus recalls in the Res Gestae Getarum, Galla Placidia was dedicating herself body and soul to the education of her son [10]

She paid great attention to making him the best prince possible... She had ensured that he received lessons in horse racing, fighting and literature from the best masters of the time. But his sister also taught him to be orderly and princely in his ways; she had shown him how to pick up his clothes, and how to take a seat, and how to walk; she trained him to restrain his laughter, to assume a mild or formidable appearance according to the occasion, and to investigate with courtesy the cases which were put before him by petitions. But he was mainly committed to making him pray continuously; she instructed him to attend church regularly, and to honor the houses of prayer with presents and treasures

Returning to the Basilica of San Giovanni, on the wall of the apse, always with a view to exalting the legitimacy of her son's legacy, Galla Placidia had the Constantipolitan branch of her family represented, with Arcadius, Eudoxia and Theodosius II and to flatter the Nicean church of Mediolanum, bishop Ambrose. [11]Above the imperial portraits there were the most usual ecclesiastical decorations, with the four evangelists and Christ seated on a throne. At the top of the triumphal arch we have the figure of the Redeemer who delivered the book of the Apocalypse to Saint John the Evangelist, with on the sides the representations of Athaulf who fought the battles of Guiamus and Scalabis Iulia to exalt the role of the Goths in the reconquest of Hispania

86-san-giovanni-evangelista-10.jpg

According to what Anicius Severus tells, Galla Placidia, again to respect the vow made, gave a golden chalice to the Basilica of the Santissimo Salvatore in Rome and two enormous golden candelabra, which weighed seven pounds to the basilicas of St. Peter and St. Paul out of the walls. These candelabra were circular in shape, with twelve candles arranged along the edge and with in their center a medallion with the portrait of Galla Placidia and little Theodosius, surrounded by an inscription that said [12]

I will prepare a lamp, to illuminate the new coming of my Christ

Athaulf, having returned victorious from the campaign in Hispania, after having received the acclamation of the Gothic army in the Hippodrome of Mediolanum on 3 March 418, decided, perhaps irritated by the Nicean positions taken by Galla Placidia, to highlight his objectively poor devotion to Arian Christianity, financing the construction of the new baptistery of the Basilica Portiana. From the copy of a papyrus, which contains a sort of payment receipt from the supplier of the bricks used for the construction of the baptistery, we know that the work was already underway at the end of May 418.

Today, nestled among the buildings and homes of the historic center, it is difficult to imagine the baptistery in its original splendor. Inspired by the forms of the Constantinian baptistery of the Lateran, always with a view to remembering the legitimacy of his son Theodosius as the future Roman emperor, with its external ambulatory, its height of more than three meters and its covering in shining white marble, as he says Anicius Severus in the Private Commentaries, must have appeared imposing to his contemporaries. [13]

If nothing remains of the rich marble decoration mentioned by the historian, who speaks of slabs of red onion, Egyptian onyx and Proconnesus marble, we can still admire the dome covered in mosaics: in the central clypeus the Christ, young and naked, immersed in the water up to the hips with John the Baptist, the personification of the Jordan River and the dove of the Holy Spirit, while in the concentric band the procession of the twelve apostles, divided into two ranks, proceeding towards a large jeweled throne surmounted by the cross, from whose arms hangs a purple cloth.

Twelve Apostles, excluding the presence of Judas Iscariot, will be replaced by Paul of Tarsus, represented in the act of offering crowns with covered hands, divided by slender palms, symbol of martyrdom and resurrection. On either side of the empty throne are the apostles Peter and Paul. Peter, with veiled hands, as a sign of respect according to oriental tradition, offers the keys. Paul holds out the scrolls with his letters; a spindle is represented on the veil that covers his hands. This is a reference to his work as a curtain weaver.

The throne, the symbolic culmination of the procession, is an ancient iconographic motif borrowed from Christian art as a prefiguration of ethymasia: it implies the invisible presence of Christ and symbolically represents the throne on which he will sit on the day of final judgement. Here, however, the iconography is enriched by unusual elements that could modify its interpretation in an Aryan key: on the seat, covered by a white cloth, there is a purple cushion which holds the large cross adorned with gems, from which a purple cloth hangs . These elements could be symbolic of the suffering suffered on the cross and therefore allude to the human nature of Christ.

Arian conception which is also present in the representation of Baptism, highlighted by three symbols: the representation of Christ as Young, to highlight the fact that he is distinct from the Father and being created, is the object of the flow of time, by his orientation towards the East, in opposition to Nicean iconography and in the gesture of the dove which, bathing Christ with the primordial water of Genesis, sanctifies him as the Spirit sanctified the original waters.

A reference to the "Theodosian Renaissance" is in the representation of the Jordan River, as an old man with a beard and white hair, bare-chested, the lower part of the body covered with a green cloth and with attributes that derive directly from the Hellenistic iconography of river deities personified. In fact, the figure leans on an overturned vase, from whose mouth water flows and holds a marsh reed in his hand, while the red claws of a crab appear on his head, representing the elements of aquatic life. [14]

battistero-ariani-ravenna.jpg

Faced with such provocations, Honorius could not help but remain indifferent: after having celebrated the triumph in Rome on 8 January 418 for the victories in Africa and Hispania, to remind the senatorial nobility that, despite its claims, power was still in the hands of the emperor, granted the ornamenta triumphalia to Flavius Castinus, but not to Athaulf, appealing to the fact that he had conducted the war not as a Roman general, but as a Gothic king allied to the Romans.

Then, to publicize his success, in the summer of 418 he had three series of coins issued by the mint of Ravenna: the first consisted of a solidus aureus, or a gold coin weighing approximately 4.5 grams, which bore the bust of the Emperor and the legend Dominus Noster Honorius Pius Felix Augustus (Our Lord Honorius Pius Felix Augustus) on the obverse; while on the reverse it represents the image of the sovereign himself, with his head turned to the left, trampling a defeated enemy with his foot. [15]

Onorio.jpg

The second series consisted of a silver silique, weighing 1.3 grams, which on the obverse represented the profile of Honorius, with the diadem and the inscription Dominus Honorius, Virtus Romanorum (Our Lord Honorius, Valor of the Romans) and on the reverse the personification of the province of Africa, with the writings Defensor Africae (Defender of Africa) and Virtus Exerciti (Valour of the Armies), to celebrate the success of the Comes Bonifacius campaign, in an attempt to separate him from Galla Placidia's party

The third series consisted of a bronze follis, on the obverse the same profile of the siliqua and on the reverse the representation of Hispania with the writings Hispania Restruita (Spain Recovered) and Gloria Romanorum (Glory of the Romans), to celebrate the successes of Flavius Castinus. [16]

MN568.jpg

Then, in February 419, Honorius decided to exploit the death of his ally Zosimos to his advantage, deciding to build a new basilica dedicated to San Lorenzo. The reason for this choice was twofold. In 330 AD, according to the "Liber Pontificalis", the emperor Constantine had carried out a series of interventions on the martyr's tomb, isolating it from the other funerary monuments and allowing access to the faithful through a continuous path with entrance and exit stairs ( “gradus ascensionis et descensionis“). At the same time, he had built a small cemetery basilica built entirely of brick, with three naves divided by arches on pillars, in honor of Lorenzo, "supra arenario cryptae", that is, at the foot of the Verano hill, but detached from the underground tomb. Most of the flooring was occupied by tombstones: the faithful, in fact, confident in the power of the saint, preferred burial near his relics to obtain salvation, so much so that soon even the walls were used for niche tombs. Precisely for this reason, Bishop Zosimos, who had several things to make up for, had decided to be buried in the Constantinian basilica: by intervening in the sacred area, Honorius reiterated his role as successor of Constantine and protector of the church.

The other was linked to the role that Lorenzo had in the devotion of the Romans, both of Nicean obedience and of Arian obedience: according to legend, the emperor Valerian was aware of the fact that Lorenzo, among the seven deacons of Rome, was the depositary of the assets of the Church of Rome, deprived of Pope Sixtus II and of the bishops already put to death. At the request of the emperor's prefect to give him this "treasure", Lorenzo was forced to show it to him. Then Lorenzo appeared before him with a crowd of poor people.

Here you are! This is the treasure of the Church

The martyrdom took place, according to tradition, over a burning grill, kept in the basilica of San Lorenzo in Lucina, in the place where the church of San Lorenzo in Panisperna stands today. The body was then buried in the ancient ager Veranus, which extended along the Via Tiburtina. By showing his devotion to Lorenzo, Honorius hoped to win the sympathy of the Roman senatorial nobility, as rich as they were power-hungry. First of all, Honorius demolished the oratory of Constantine, which served both as an entrance to the catacombs of Ciriaca and as a custodian of Lorenzo's tomb, then building the current entrance moved about a hundred meters to the left, which after a monumental staircase in Numidian marble, leads to an underground basilica, decorated with stuccos, partly still preserved [17]

Then Honorius gave orders to demolish the facade of the Constantinian basilica, defined as Maior for its temporal priority and not for its dimensions, making it a sort of chapel of his new basilica, which respecting the Roman tradition, had three naves, divided by 12 magnificent Corinthian columns in grooved pavonazzetto, on which architraves rested with an abundant decoration of plant racemes and acanthus spirals, similar to that of the tropheum of the Forum of Peace, which has led scholars to hypothesize that it could have been sculpted by the same marble workshop . Above this first order rise the galleries, in turn divided from the central space by 12 columns, smaller in size but equally refined, also of the Corinthian order.

The confession, which monumentalised the burial place of Saints Lawrence, Abbondio and Irenaeus, to which Pope Pelagius, a century later, added the alleged relics of Saint Stephen, was reachable via two red marble staircases: according to what the Itinerary of Einsiedeln,[18] Honorius had the confession decorated with the lost statues of the three saints and three mosaics representing their martyrs, of which few fragments remain

The abdisal cap was then decorated with magnificent mosaics: above a covering of cipollino marble, punctuated by vertical pilasters of red porphyry, there was a mosaic with the blessing Christ in the centre, at whose feet the river Jordan flows and on the two extreme sides of the scene there are two palm trees. [19] A green meadow with small plants represents the banks of the river. On the right, there is Saint Peter presenting Lorenzo to the Lord, with Honorius at his side. On the left, however, there is Saint Paul, who presents Saint Prospero [20] to Christ, with Bishop Zosimus on his right.

1094-SS_C_D.jpg

Even more explicit is the triumphal arch, with Christ on the Throne, with on the left Saint Paul, Saint Lawrence with the grill and Honorius and on the left, Saint Peter, with Flavius Castinus and the Comes Bonifacius: at the two ends of the mosaic, there were the representation of the provinces of Hispania and Africa. In fact, the entire decoration celebrated both the political and military successes that Honorius believed he had achieved in recent years, awaiting his final confrontation with Athaulf.

Roma-San-Lorenzo-Mosaici-2.jpg

[1] Yes, it is grimly inspired by the Column of Phocas 😁
[2] The stands in the Roman forum from which the magistrates held their speeches. The name derived from the prows of enemy ships (rostrum precisely) torn away by the Romans during the victorious battle of Anzio during the Latin War
[3] In English,
To our excellent prince, our lord,
Emperor Honorius,
of supreme clemency and supreme mercy,
for eternity crowned by God,
Augustus always triumphant

[4] A sculptural group depicting Harmodius and Aristogiton, who killed Hipparchus and chased away Hipparchus, created by Critius and Nesiotes and exhibited in the Acropolis of Athens; it is the first statue of the Greek world that depicts historical characters and facts and which becomes a sort of model for the representation of pairs of heroes in the classical world
[5] This also happens OTL
[6] ITL Basilica inspired by the one built OTL by Galla Placidia in Ravenna
[7] Another pseudobiblion that appears in the story
[8] Great Milanese Gothic sculptor
[9] In English, Augusta Galla Placidia had this done to respect her vow. The description of the mosaics is a reworking of that of Judith Herrin in Ravenna. Capital of Empire, Crucible of Europe
[10]
OTL is a passage by Sozomen, which describes the education of Theodosius II...
[11] By the way, I haven't forgotten Eudocia, but at the time Theodosius II was not yet married
[12] Gifts also made OTL
[13] Yes, it is inspired by the Arian Baptistery in Ravenna
[14] Description taken from the Touring Club Red Guide
[15] Coin that also exists OTL, but minted in another context
[16] ITL coins, inspired by some actually minted
[17] Inspired by what Pope Pelagius II did OTL
[18] A guide to the pilgrims who went to Rome in the 8th century
[19] Inspired by the mosaics of San Cosma and Damiano
[20] Given the previous discussions, could we not mention him? 😁

It's cool reading about equivalents to OTL sites that I actually had the privilege of visiting in person (in Rome and Ravenna); great stuff!

(Also -- you wouldn't have a link on hand to anything on Prospero of Neapolis by chance, would you?)

It's cool reading about equivalents to OTL sites that I actually had the privilege of visiting in person (in Rome and Ravenna); great stuff!

(Also -- you wouldn't have a link on hand to anything on Prospero of Neapolis by chance, would you?)

As soon as I manage to go to the Interdepartmental Library of Humanities of the University of Palermo , I scan the texts and articles and share the pages

10 Bagaudeae
10 Bagaudeae

14341588302_f6bedc060e_c.jpg

Historians make the end of the so-called crisis of the III coincide with the rise of C. Aurelius Valerius Diocletian whose reforms bring to a conclusion the long process of overcoming the Augustan administrative and social systems, marking at the same time the beginning of the late ancient age or early Christian. Diocletian's political program was mainly based on the strengthening and defense of the borders, as well as on political stability within an empire which during the 3rd century had seen countless emperors belonging to the military class one after the other: political instability together with constant barbarian pressures and an incipient demographic and economic crisis had in fact led to the shattering of the empire and the birth of "regional empires" such as the imperum Galliarum or the kingdom of Palmyra, during the reign of Gallienus. [1]

Carte_division_des_empires.jpg

Diocletian understood from the first years of his reign that these objectives would not be achievable without an internal reorganization of the government of the border provinces: a reorganization that can be glimpsed with the tetrarchic ideology, an attempt to regulate the internal succession and to maintain stable military control in the entire empire, thanks to the presence of four imperial figures. In particular, it was the Germanic and Gallic provinces that were the scene of the greatest military actions, both against gentes externae and against the native populations.

In these territories there had been successive economic crises and famines, consequences of the destruction of the fields and the neglect caused by the barbarian invasions and military usurpations and of climate change, which had progressively decreased agricultural productivity. The lower-middle class of farmers and small landowners was undoubtedly the social stratum most affected by these crises, and in 285 the popular intolerance was such that it led to an armed revolt, which was given the name of Bagaudae

The first testimonies are provided by Aurelio Vittore [2] and Eutropius. The reported name of the movement is of Celtic origin, deriving from the root Bag, attested in Gaelic, meaning fighter, which testifies to its relevance to rural Gaul. Another fundamental source that reflects the thinking and vision of events on the part of the ruling class is the Gallic panegyrics. In particular, the panegyric written by Mamertin in honor of Maximian, although not directly naming the bagaudi, provides important information on the phenomenon. In the description of the revolt, the warrior characterization of the movement shines through, and in the panegyric the peasants are transformed into knights and infantry, almost becoming monsters for the author, while in the next passage it is reported that the rebels devastated the fields of the barbarians, defined as enemies .

Given the relative scarcity of sources, it is difficult to understand and outline an exact tactic within the Bagaudic movement: it would appear to be an application of the scorched earth tactic implemented by the rebels as part of a guerrilla strategy against a hostis barbarus, perhaps the Alamanni or the Franks. To this struggle with external raids, the Bagaudi combined the social revolt and peasant struggle against the Gallic powerful, thus burning the lands that they worked as settlers. Revolt whose roots were in the social transformation underway in the empire starting from the 3rd century following the Constitutio Antoniniana.

In 212 the emperor Caracalla extended Roman citizenship to all the inhabitants of the empire. This provision is still controversial today, since on the one hand it was praised by both ancient and modern authors, who saw in it a sort of general leveling of the conditions of the cives. The constitutio remains a sign of contradiction, interpretable as a sign of equality within the empire, but also as a legal prototype of a despotic regime characterizing the late ancient age.

Legalizing de facto an already existing situation, the edict resulted in the vertical development of society, accentuating the gap between honestiores, senators and large landowners located at the top of the social ladder, and humiliores, the humbler peasant class and plebs urban. The terms "honestiores" and "humiliores" were legally used in late antiquity to indicate the differences in rights between the two classes, differences which concerned, for example, corporal punishment, from which the top group was exempt, while low-ranking citizens damnatio ad bestias [3] was due, as well as crucifixion.

During the third century, the difference between Roman and provincial cives ceased, while the class division was accentuated, also, as seen, in the context of Roman law, and, with the constitutio, a vertical conquest of society was undertaken. In short, by universally granting citizenship, in an act of hypothetical social equalization, the legal equality of the civitas that has characterized Roman law since the Republican age dissolves. This factor, together with the decline of the slave workforce caused by the end of wars of conquest, led to radical changes in agricultural society.

Starting from the tetrarchic age, free peasants belonging to the lower-middle class progressively became settlers of the rich landowners within the villae, divided in late antiquity into a part managed by the owner, and one used for the colonists' crops. leading to the progressive formation of a mixed class, of legally free men, however linked to the master's land by inheritance. We are therefore witnessing a transformation of society in late antiquity, no longer predominantly slave-based, but composed of peasants and other enslaved humiliores, and therefore the birth of the phenomenon of colonization and patronage.

Another social aspect in relation to the worsening of the gap between the possessores and the lower classes is the late imperial legislation regarding agricultural deserts. If economic and political life in late antiquity, and especially starting from the tetrarchic age, was more controlled by the state, through a tightening of the bureaucratic apparatus and a succession of monetary reforms as well as greater control of professional colleges, this occurred in some territories, such as in Belgica, an enlargement of the territories of the villae, in which it is possible to hypothesize some sort of subsistence or autarky domestic economy.

The possessores were nothing other than high state officials, who during the 4th century built large fortunes in the territories in which they carried out their functions, and taking into account the importance of a city like Trier in the 4th century, it is no coincidence that in the territories on the left bank of the Rhine there is evidence of numerous villae. But how could they obtain land to expand their territories?

Thanks to the occupation, the agricultural deserts, caused by the abandonment and flight of the colonists and the poorest owners from the lands, both public, therefore belonging to the emperor's patrimony, and private, who fled from the lands to avoid paying the taxes that the lower middle class could not support, causing serious losses for state coffers.

The escape was a desperate reaction to the profound social crisis, and involved the transformation of medium-small landowners into settlers, under the protection of a patronus. The farmers preferred to abandon, or in other cases give up their land to the patronus, in rare cases working it under a rental contract, so as not to have to pay taxes, which were covered by the possessores, who were given an aura of protectors of the peasant class. To overcome this problem, the state had to provide through incentives and exemptions, and sometimes by trying to force the old owners to pay taxes.

Much of the agrarian legislation of the 4th century denotes the empire's desire to reassign the care of abandoned territories, also granting tax incentives. It was possible to obtain land through voluntary management, or through auctions. In the case of voluntary management, an edict of Theodosius provided that if the ancient owners had not returned to their funds by May following the issuing of the edict, the territories would be automatically entrusted to the voluntary farmers. In the absence of the latter, an auction would have been held for the concession.

However, when the land had been abandoned for some time and needed to be brought into cultivation, offers would hardly have been submitted. According to a constitution of Valentinian, in these cases immunity from taxes was granted for at least three years, in order to encourage the redistribution of land.

It would be superfluous to cite every legal case concerning the granting of abandoned land: it will suffice to point out that with privileges towards volunteers, the state hoped to secure landowners to the land, avoiding abandonment. In imperial legislation it is not clear who were those who obtained the concession of the abandoned lands, but it is nevertheless likely that they were rich owners who were encouraged to obtain the territories, given the need for economic investment in them. There could have been territorial differences regarding this process, such as the repopulation of the harsh deserts carried out by Maximian in Gaul through the use of laeti, prisoners of war of Gallo-Roman origin freed following victorious military campaigns, and Frankish prisoners, as witnessed in panegyrics.

The legislation is certainly the clearest evidence of a widespread social malaise, which led to the abandonment of property and the birth of the colonate, which is equally not only a fiscal but a social phenomenon, in which the enrichment of the powerful to the detriment of the subjugation of the lower middle class. In this interpretation, we could consider the bagaudae as a classist reaction towards the top class.

The sources provide us with two names as leaders of the movement, Amando and Eliano. We are unable to know anything, however, either about their social background or the purpose they wanted to pursue with the revolt. The same sources highlight greater interest in the Bagaudic movement as a whole, rather than in individuals. This factor could refute the hypotheses of usurpation attempts by at least Amando.

Instead, we have more elements to try to define the ethnic origin of the rebels more clearly. Salviano of Marseille, in De gubernatione Dei, [4] dealing with the Bagaudian wars of the 5th century, attempts to describe the identity of Gaul, dividing it into three typologies: Gallo-Romans, barbarians and Bagaudians.

In any case, the bagaudic phenomenon was considered a sufficiently serious problem to require Massimiano's intervention. The concern could derive both from the continuous pressures of neighboring peoples and from the nearby memory of the continuous usurpations in the territory, which culminated in the previous twenty years with the imperum galliarum. The intervention of the Caesar and the imperial army gave even greater importance and authority to the movement, enhancing its war prerogative. Mamertine himself in his eulogy to Maximian, in a symbolist key, gives an aura of danger to the gigantes, the "exhibit biformia" [5], or the bagaudi, who would have attacked Olympus, defended however by Hercules in this case, or Maximian, and not from Jupiter-Diocletian, as in the myth. The Bagaudi are therefore farmers, but also warriors, not simple bandits who would have limited themselves to plundering the villas of the rich Gallo-Romans. The war, if it took place, was ended in a short time by Maximian, who won the revolt using fortitudo et clementia, [6] as Mamertin indicates.

The author of the panegyric himself does not know whether to celebrate the feat or whether to remain silent about what happened, caustically underlining the contempt towards this social class. In any case, the episode of the bagaudae profoundly marked the political life of Maximian, who was recognized for the merits of the undertaking by Diocletian, who elevated him to the rank of Augustus in Nicomedia the following November. The choice of elevation to Augustus may be related to the defection of Carausius, admiral of the fleet in the North Sea who in 286 began to have claims of independence, continuing in a certain sense the secessionist tradition of the western lands of the empire over the span of time of the disastrous third century.

Antoninianus_Carausius_leg4-RIC_0069v.jpg

The attempt by Carausius, who declared himself emperor in 287, was stemmed first by Maximian, through a campaign against the Franks, allies of the secessionist, and later by the newly elected Caesar Constantius Clorus, who in 293 conquered Gerosianum, a port city located on the sea of north, as well as home to the rebel fleet. Following the defeat of the Frisians and Camavi, his allies, Carausius retreated to Britain, where the rebellion continued until 296, with the landing on the island by Constantius Clorus himself.

If this attempt at usurpation was not as successful as the previous ones, it is undoubtedly thanks to the tetrarchic policy, which guaranteed an authoritarian and military presence in the "hot" areas of the empire. Due to these disorders, although contained, the policy of reorganisation, reconstruction of the territory and repopulation of the countryside was not immediately successful. We can imagine the Gallic agricultural reality in the period following the Bagaudae as desolate, with abandoned and ruined crops, cities and farmhouses destroyed following years of unrest. Evidence of this is the city of Augustodunum, today Autun, destroyed in a siege in 269 and rebuilt only thirty years later at the behest of Costanzo Cloro. The panegyrics report the repopulation work of Maximian, who, in addition to rehabilitating the Bagaudi, sent numerous "laeti" to Gallia Belgica.

The latter at the turn of the 3rd and 4th centuries are to be understood not as barbarian immigrants, a development which will have the name laetus, but rather, as already mentioned, they can be identified with the Gallo Roman prisoners of war that the Franks were forced to release following the Maximian's campaign. This is confirmed by the text of the same anonymous panegyric of 297, which in a subsequent passage speaks of the Frankish prisoners of war, who were sent to work the land of the great landowners, with a jurisdiction different from the Laeti. These are "restituti postliminio", referring to the ius postliminius, the principle according to which a cives romanus, returning from an iniusta servitus such as the one forced into prison, reacquired the status of libertas and reacquired the lost rights. We must question ourselves about the actual use of laeti following the campaigns of Maximian and Constantius Clorus. If the Bagaudi probably returned to their possessions, it is possible to hypothesize that the former prisoners of war were directed to different civitates based on need and used to put the land back into cultivation.

From what can be seen from the panegyrics, the official voice of the environment of the imperial court of Trier, we are provided with a panorama of general recovery starting from 289/290, if already in 291 Mamertine praised the abundance and the crops, the demographic increase and the health of the population, while before the arrival of the august there was only famine and pestilence. The text, rhetorically emphasised, alludes to a progressive increase in manpower and new commercial flows, therefore an abundance of manpower, archaeologically attested with the enlargement of the rooms and the reuse of the productive spaces of the villae between the end of the III and especially during the 4th century.

The economic and social growth, this time "due" to the figure of Costanzo Cloro, is resumed in the aforementioned anonymous panegyric IV of 297, and in panegyric V, written by Eumenius. In the anonymous one, topics such as the reconquest of Britain are discussed, underlining its economic importance, the aforementioned reconstruction of Augustodunum, but as regards the agrarian world, the information provided to us in paragraph IX is relevant, regarding the distributions of Frisian prisoners in the territory and Camavi, who now work the land and are occasionally employed in border defense. To this news Eumenius adds a recognition to the British artisans, who came to work for the reconstruction of the city, in which culture and art now flourishes, new villas are built and new plantations cultivated.

The greatest difficulty in reconstructing the historical and social panorama of the Gallic countryside in the Tetrarchic age lies in the veracity of the official sources taken into consideration up to this moment. Is it enough to rely on the testimonies of panegyrists? They certainly provide us with necessary, yet not sufficient, testimony. It must not be forgotten that the ideas and opinions regarding the topics covered in the panegyrics are those coming from the ruling class, whether senatorial or in any case from the imperial establishment. Nonetheless, topics such as cultural flourishing, the construction of villas and the subjugation of barbarian populations are discussed, topics that inexorably fall into political propaganda.

Although it is impossible in the context of Roman historiography to obtain a source belonging to the middle-lower classes of the imperial population, we can see in Lactantius' work, De mortibus persecutorum, [7] a voice out of the chorus, which acquires authority if we consider that the the author, during the drafting of the treatise, resided in Trier. The author, speaking of the actions of Diocletian and Maximian, reports the abandonment of the fields and the conversion of the crops into forest, refuting the panegyric V.

However, it would be wrong to think that Lactantius' version contradicts the "official" one. First of all, it must be considered that the de mortibus persecutorum is not directly a historiographical work, but rather a treatise coming from a Christian environment, therefore deliberately critical of the tetrarchs, with the exception of Costanzo Cloro, of whom the author provides a positive image , a literary trick to enhance the figure of the Caesar's son, Constantine.

From the words of Lactantius, therefore, it seems that the agricultural context in Gaul was in crisis in the Tetrarchic age, continuing the trend that occurred throughout the third century. The testimonies of Lactantius and the panegyrists, therefore, may not conflict. The first, carrying out a discussion from below, would testify to the fiscal oppression of the capitatio iugatio [8] and the harshness of the tax collection of the Diocletian reform, particularly serious for the free peasants, of whom the panegyrists do not concern themselves in their treatment except in one passage of the panegyric VIII which in fact validates the theory. On the other hand, the panegyrists exalt the return of barbaric labor and the reconstruction of city structures, while remaining silent on the social component of the agrarian reality.

Only by combining these two different testimonies can we have an overall vision of the agricultural reality in Gaul in the Tetrarchic age, reducing the positivist vision of economic and social changes. The greatest concern for the tetrarchs (including Costanzo Cloro himself) is to create and import manpower through military campaigns, repopulating cities and deserted lands. This is evident in Gaul due to the proximity of countless nearby populations, who often came into conflict with the imperial army, but above all because the panegyrists, who extensively describe the phenomenon, gravitate around Trier and directly experience the Gallic reality. This does not mean that this did not also happen in the rest of the empire: it is indeed testified in Panegyric IV that Diocletian provided for the transplant of colonists and prisoners from the province of Asia, in order to repopulate Thrace. In the Tetrarchic age the lands were put under cultivation and yielded immediate benefits, however a targeted and long-term agrarian policy did not take place. The barbarians transplanted to Gaul did work the land, however this was a short-lived event. The panegyrics already anticipate their military function, furthermore we know that during the 4th and 5th centuries the Franks, through a long process of immigration, entered the ranks of the army, in a certain way abandoning the work of the fields. Without German manpower the famines mentioned by Lactantius and Eusebius of Caesarea can be explained.

To conclude, the tetrarchs found a disastrous economic situation in Gaul, part of the Celtic component of the population in revolt and the cities destroyed. They were able to put a stop to these crises, introduced reforms that were necessary at the time, such as the capitatio iugatio, and concentrated on the transplantation of the Germanic populations. With the oppressive tax pressure they caused a point of no return for the free farmers, who, unable to pay the taxes, had the extreme solution of fleeing and abandoning their possessions. Starting from the tetrarchic age, the process of polarization of wealth and rural property in the hands of the honestiores, the ruling groups, was consolidated, which then continued with Constantine, under whom brigandage events occurred in Gaul, even if not with a bagaudic component. , very similar to it. The social disparity and the wealth accumulated by the possessores will contribute to the loss of rights, graduated over time, of the lower classes, and to the birth of the servile class.

But in the long term, the interventions of Maximian and Costanzo Cloro, by not intervening on the process of economic and social evolution, limited themselves to hiding the dirt under the carpet. Thus, in the 5th century, when state control in Northern Gaul entered into crisis, to react both to the pressure of the Franks and to the new collapse of agricultural production, a second Baugauda revolt was unleashed, which also had a political component: in 408 , Armorica and other areas in the north of Gaul expelled the Roman magistrates and officials and decided to govern themselves.

This implies that, unlike the first Bagaudic revolt, it was not only the less well-off classes who conducted this "experiment", which both Zosimos and Anicius Severus define as Res Publica Armoricarum, but rather patronal relations had a decisive role on the one hand. , capable of providing the managerial cadres necessary for the establishment of a local power, and on the other the contribution of the so-called "middle class", i.e. the weakest among the honestiores, in a constant struggle to avoid falling into a state of poverty. The contribution of the nobles is demonstrated for example by Salviano, who states that among those who chose to live among the Bagaudi there were also people descended from families known and educated as free people, while the presence of representatives of the middle class is proven by Gallic chronicle of 432 which, among the leaders of the movement, mentions a certain Eudoxius, a doctor by profession

From what Anicius Severus tells in the Res Gestae Getarum, but probably the description of him was very idealized, the basic unit of Bagauda society was made up of the so-called phratry, which included three or four families related to each other. About ten phratries made up the pagus, the local community which every year saw to the division of cultivable lots between the phratries, the collection of taxes and the organisation, training and arming of a group of soldiers.

According to Anicius Severus, the private property of each baguad, in fact, was limited to his house, pets and tools; at the same time, each phratry possessed community rights, so the plots of arable land were divided and annually redistributed according to the number and needs of each phratry and the productivity of the lot itself. Common rights were also associated with the uses of pastures and woods: the pagus annually elected their representatives, one per pagus, to the legislative assembly of Armorica, which Anicius Severus calls Senatus. In turn, the members of the Senatus, which in addition to being a legislative body, also acted as a court of justice, elected both the head of the civil administration, which the Latin historian calls Consul and the Dictator, the military leader of the Bagaudi.

Despite the accusations that the Bagauds enriched themselves by plundering the territories south of the Loire, we have some testimonies, starting with Zosimos, who speak of a recovery of the agricultural economy of the area: furthermore, both Anicius Severus and the Cronica Alana [9]testify how the main culprits of these raids were the Franks. As proof of this, there is the Comes Aetius expedition, which we will talk about in the future
Even though the social roots of the movement escaped him, Honorius was certain of three things:
  1. They were Romans and not Goths, with whom one could negotiate and reach an agreement
  2. They were enemies of the Gallo Roman senatorial nobility, allied with Galla Placidia, so they could be potential allies of Ravenna, applying the principle "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"
  3. They constituted an important military force, capable of countering barbarian incursions, which could be integrated in some way into the Roman army, to fight against Athaulf in the future.
Added to this was the information coming from bishop Patroclus of Arles, who, exploiting the ecclesiastical hierarchies of Armorica, had set up his own espionage network: the Bagaudi, due to the diversity of the classes they came from and the different interpretation of the Roman past, were divided into two factions: on the one hand there were those who were in favor of re-establishing ties between the Celtic communities and Ravenna; on the other there were those who now considered the achievement of full independence inevitable. Therefore, to prevent the latter faction from gaining the upper hand and to reconquer the North of Gaul by resorting to force, which, in addition to favoring Athaulf, would have slowed down the recovery of the state coffers, Honorius decided on a diplomatic approach.

In March 418 he appointed Exuperantius of Poitiers,[10] a cousin of Rutilius Numatian, [11]Vicarius Galliae, [12] taking advantage of a small oversight in the treaty of Classe, in which Priscus Attalus had no right of veto on any imperial appointments among his subordinates: now, if Rutilius, in addition to boasting of his kinship, tells us very little in the passage from De Reditu suo

Esuperantius is now teaching the littorial Armoricus to love the restoration of peace; he re-establishes the laws, restores freedom and ensures that the inhabitants do not have to be slaves to civil discord [13]

Anicius Severus tells us something more

Exuperantius, a great connoisseur of the laws, alien to any dispute and faction, had made a career in the imperial administration due to his equanimity and integrity. Due to his incorruptibility and being an expert in the language and customs of the Bagaudi, he was sent by Honorius on a mission to Armorica.

Given that, from a scholium of the Res Gestae Getarum, we know that the jurist Palladius, who will have a chair in Rome and collaborate in the drafting of the Codex Theodosianus,[14] was his son, we can hypothesize that Exuperantius also studied law in Rome. Furthermore, as no epigraphs or papyri recalling his actions have been found to date, it is probable that despite the praise of Anicius Severus, he was a second-rate bureaucrat: Honorius chose him, with his usual cynicism, because he was expendable and because he spoke Celtic.

Now, a sine qua non condition, to make it appear, in the event of a positive outcome, an imperial success and that the Goths would not participate: to obtain this result, Honorius put his duplicity to rest. He sent a rescript to Wallia, in which praising the courage and blood shed by the Goths in Hispania, seeing that his people had already suffered so much for the empire, he granted him the possibility of not sending soldiers to accompany Exuperantius, but of limiting himself to pay logistics costs. Wallia, given the discontent of the Goths, who were not very enthusiastic about abandoning the Garonne fields again, accepted. It goes without saying that Wallia received a letter full of insults from Athaulf and Galla Placidia as soon as they realized what Honorius was up to.

DvbvKI-WoAA_prJ.jpg

Exuperantius was also accompanied by the knights of the Scola armarum seniorum [15] and by a Alan contingent: recent archaeological excavations in Tours and Nantes have shown how at the time there was extensive cross-border trade between the territories entrusted to the Alans and the Res Publica Armoricarum. At the beginning, relations between the counterparts were probably tense, so much so that the Alana Chronicle speaks of a battle with the Bagaudi, or at least with the exponents of the anti-Roman faction, in the Civitas Redonum [16]which was held on 6 April 418. From that which the chronicle describes, the Alans fell into a trap and were saved only thanks to the intervention of the imperial knights

However, already in mid-May 418 negotiations began between Exuperantius and Tibattus, the Consul of the Bagaudi, with the mediation of an old friend of the Gallian vicarius, Bishop Germanus of Auxerre. Germano was the son of Rustico and Germanilla,[17] large landowners, of senatorial rank. After studying trivium in his hometown, he went to Rome to acquire a doctorate in law and practice as a lawyer, where it is possible he met Exuperantius. Both dedicated themselves to public careers, deepening their friendship, until Germano, after his parents' death, in order to take care of his properties, obtained the appointment of consulares [18]of the Fourth Province of Lyon to which Auxerre belonged; on 1 May 418 the bishop of the city Amatore died, who had remained neutral in the disputes between Honorius and Galla Placidia, and the clergy, the nobility and the people, as was the custom then, elected Germanus the new bishop of the city, despite him being married. Patroclus, convinced that Germanus, due to his previous history, was pro-imperial, approved his appointment. The new bishop, who like Exuperantius spoke Celtic, must have had great diplomatic skills: he was highly esteemed by the Alans, despite being Arian Christians, and maintained excellent relations with the pro-Roman faction of the Baguadi

Ger.jpg

On 9 June 418, again in Civitas Redonum, the treaty between the Empire and Baguadi was signed: the Celts recognized the authority of Honorius and his successors, they would pay a share of the taxes in Ravenna and their troops would fight alongside the imperial army against invaders, rebels and usurpers. In exchange Tibattus would have been named Comes Armonicarum and they would have kept their peculiar political and social system unchanged.

Satisfied with the result and hoping to obtain some benefits from Ravenna, in early July Exuperantius was preparing to move to Arleate, to put himself in the service of Priscus Attalus, when he received a new order from Honorius: the emperor had started the second part of his plan

[1] The reflections on the Bagaudi are a reworking of an article by Fabrizia Ruggio on the economic evolution of Late Roman Gaul
[2] Roman historian of the 4th century
[3] Death sentence, which involved being devoured alive by wild beasts in the arenas.
[4] Book in which Saviano contrasts the vices of the Romans with the virtues of the barbarians, maintaining that they were the instrument of Providence to strike transgressors of its law.
[5] In English, they show deformity
[6] In English, strength and mercy
[7] Book by Lactantius in which the author, with a taste that today we would define as pulp, describes the atrocious deaths of the persecutors of Christians
[8] Taxes introduced by Diocletian. The capitatio (from the late Latin derivative of caput, capitis which in the primary sense indicates the head, the head with reference to individuals) or direct tax which weighed on individuals of working age from 14 to 65 years. I. The iugatio (from the Latin iugerum, iugeri, agricultural measure of surface area equal to approximately 25 ares, i.e. 240 feet in length and 120 in width) which instead burdened the units of cultivable surface area.
[9] Another invented book
[10] Real character, who will end up better in this Timeline than in OTL
[11] Also true OTL
[12] Civil collaborator of the Prefect, a sort of governor general of the Gallic provinces
[13] Slightly changed from the original
[14] This also happens OTL
[15] One of the scholae palatine, the imperial guards, stationed in Ravenna
[16] Our Rennes
[17] All of this also happens OTL
[18] Governor of a province

Ominous. Is it already time to move against his sister and brother-in-law or will Honorius continue to look for ways to erode their power-base and/or increase his own?

Personally I'd wait to see if I couldn't get more of Hispania under more control first, but hey, I don't have a hate-boner for Athaulf and Galla Placidia. ;)