Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VII (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Just a few infoboxes from the main Marvel Comics Universe and one (2013) from the Ultimate Marvel Universe.
0cK9lds.png

Colorado & Missouri
Alaska
Florida
Connecticut
Wisconsin
Washington, DC
Delaware

Now that I've done a couple more small leagues, let's return to a bigger league. In fact now we go to the second entry in the Big Six, Ohio!

dSxg2uL.png

The notes:

I felt like the major top flight teams should be fairly evenly divided between Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland. A few of the teams are from OTL or closely based on OTL teams. Cleveland Inter and Magyar Buckeye are loose continuations of early soccer teams Inter-Italian SC (and a bit of the Cleveland Internationals) and Magyar-American FC, centered around the Italian and Hungarian communities in Cleveland respectively. The other OTL-inspired teams are the Dayton Dutch Lions, a USL2 team who I mainly included because I like the name and because they're probably the most well known lower league team in Ohio, and the Cincinnati Rovers, who I based on the Cincinnati Comets and played in a few stadiums during their brief four year existence in the 1970s.

For the Magyar Buckeye stadium, I had to give a shout out to two of the most influential soccer players in the OTL US, brothers Pete and Charlie Gogolak, who migrated to the US after the Hungarian Revolution and changed the NFL forever by showing Americans how to kick a ball.

One major city left out of the top flight is Canton. This is intentional. As the city that is known for being the birthplace of the NFL, I decided to give Canton an irrational dislike of soccer ITTL.

the "GZ" in GZ Akron naturally stands for Goodyear-Zeppelin.

Olentangy Scioto United is named after the two rivers, the Olentangy and the Scioto, that flow through northwest Columbus. The fact that Ohio State University is nearby and the club's acronym is OSU is definitely just a coincidence according to the team owners.

I don't know if this fits the topic of this thread, but here are some infoboxes on "elections to the UN General Conference (a real existing body by the way) after (and caused by) the arrival of the Galactic Empire from the Star Wars universe":

P. S. I'm sure I could be wrong with the numbers (at least in PRC, DPRK and my country IMCWP would definitely get seats, etc.).

Снимок экрана 2024-02-09 в 20.02.06.pngСнимок экрана 2024-02-09 в 20.04.24.png

1708915489456.png

Decided to make an idea I've had for We Shall Overcome into an infobox — Daisy Burke (Teagan Croft) is the protagonist of Daisy Burke, a remake of Forrest Gump that spans from 2016 to 2043 (much like the original's 1956 to 1982 timeframe). Because the elements of the plot involve current politics, more details can be found in my test thread.

(due to their similar appearances, I've used Milla Jovovich as a substitute for Teagan Croft.)

Last edited:
View attachment 890932
The Worker's Scarlet Banner: Syndicalism in a tl with no French Revolution (and no left-right politics)
Very interesting, I like the implications of this. I am curious why anarcho-syndicalism isn't listed as a variant of syndicalism here, however, as the origins of anarcho-syndicalist arguably predate the presumably early 20th Century POD you have here.

Very interesting, I like the implications of this. I am curious why anarcho-syndicalism isn't listed as a variant of syndicalism here, however, as the origins of anarcho-syndicalist arguably predate the presumably early 20th Century POD you have here.
Well, there isn’t a French Revolution (which most historians put before the 20th century), which could affect things.

Well, there isn’t a French Revolution (which most historians put before the 20th century), which could affect things.
Ah, I was thinking this was a Kaiserreich alternate history and the French Revolution in question was the syndicalist revolution in France from KR.

Anarcho-syndicalism ittl is 'Freedonian' Syndicalism, compared to the more Statist 'Federalist' Syndicalism (named after the Federalist Party, long story)
The "spot in the three pillars" intrigues me
ttl's political system is based on 3 pillars instead of a compass (Syndicalism Argentine-Mountain-Populare)
(Economic, from interventionism to laizze-faire; Autonomy, from Centralization to Confederalism (or anarchism in some cases); and Aesthetics, from Revolutionary to Reactionary) (@User_1204 came up with it)
1709081565306.png

Light of the Nation - Part 6: Far Far Away

Light of the Nation - Part 6: Far Far Away

Walter Mondale’s foreign policy in one word? Restraint. He’d seen what Vietnam had done to Johnson and Humphrey. No grand adventures.

And yet the hot sands of the Kalahari desert would present him with one of the great Cold War crises.

Mondale was no pacifist, and the Iranian Civil War had ended detente. “Good Fences Make Good Neighbors” was the phrase of the day. Pro-Washington Regimes would be bolstered, but escalation against Soviet influenced areas would not follow behind it.

In practice this meant limiting support towards groups like the Contras in Nicaragua, although aid to nearby dictatorships often served a similar role. UNITA, opposition in Ethiopia and Cambodia would all find the Mondale Government tight fisted, much to the fury of right wingers.

There were, of course, exceptions. Pressure from Catholics and Poles forced Mondale to slap harsh sanctions on Poland for repressing Solidarity. And when Communist infighting on Grenada broke out, Mondale’s CIA helped break it completely.

However Mondale remained on decent terms with his great power counterparts. Thatcher was a key cooperator in Grenada, and Mondale repaid the favor in the Falklands. Visits to China continued the process of opening started by Nixon. Relations with Moscow were cool but cordial.

However Mondale’s approach also meant buttressing some horrific regimes. Saudi Arabia, Zaire, most of Central America really. All in the name of preserving “freedom” the world over. Something of a sick joke, all things considered.

Public pressure did force Mondale to bow in some places. Congressional action got him to limit support for Indonesian occupations, when the Marcos government fell in the Philippines he did not fight back. However most consequentially he tightened sanctions on South Africa.

With both the SADF and UNITA lacking in resources, MLPA and Cuban forces were on the roll in Angola. In fact, by 1983, they were closing in on the border with South African occupied Namibia, which was already embroiled in an insurgency against the Apartheid regime. This was existentially threatening to P.W. Botha and the rest of the Government in Pretoria. Rhodesia had become Zimbabwe already, and if Namibia got worse…the apartheid regime might start to crack. Something needed to be done. Something drastic, to show the world resolve. On October 9th, 1983, sensors East and West observed major activity at the Vastrap Airbase in the Kalahari desert. Vela incident aside, it was South Africa’s first Nuclear Test, and was very much intended for public consumption. “Gemsbok 1” was a shot across the bow.

Mondale and the Soviets are, for once, of one mind. This is dangerous. Too dangerous to let anyone but the big boys handle. All the parties are dragged to Naples for a friendly “chat.” A permanent peace proved elusive, but the slouching towards Bethlehem was stopped at least. South Africa was to sign the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, leave Angola, and keep a “Demilitarized Strip” in the North of Namibia. In exchange the Cubans and Soviets pulled support from Namibian independence groups, and agreed to leave Southern Angola to the Angolans. There would be violations and recriminations and threats and death, but Mondale and his Foriegn Policy team had managed to avoid a full nuclear confrontation. Even if the right fumed for his “betrayal” of UNITA. South Africa was left nearly totally isolated, and stewed with rage.

Mondale’s Foreign policy occupies a transitional space in American policy. Vietnam Syndrome remained strong, but so to did a callous disregard for civilian life. Mondale faced just criticism and unjust criticism in his time, and history could only add to this mixed view.

View attachment 890313

Light of the Nation - Part 9: Domestic Affairs

Mondale’s narrow reelection had sapped some of his mandate, and his second term would feature less major legislation than his first. The 1982 midterms further limited his majorities. However, he would not be a lame duck.

Mondale would make his first, and ultimately only, contribution to the highest court in 1982, when Justice Potter Stewart retired. Mondale made history by appointing Shirley Hufstedler from the Ninth Circuit. Hufstedler was the first female Justice and a liberal vote.

Mondale would, in 1983, hash out a deal to tinker with Social Security to maintain functioning. Conservatives complained about tax increases outpacing benefit cuts, but still signed onto Mondale’s plan. No one was stupid enough to grab the third rail.

Mondale’s second term would see the economy bounce back from the malaise of the 70’s. Of course this also meant tax protesters not wanting to lose even part of their gains. Mondale, an orthodox Keynesian, was still concerned about the debt, so massive tax cuts were off the board.

However overall the economy was improving. Not everyone was happy, the rust belt rusted and farmers teetered on the edge of the disaster. But most people in most places were satisfied, even pleased with Mondalenomics. His successful negotiations with PATCO helped as well.

Not everything was smooth sailing. Crime rates were up, and Mondale was willing to work with Republicans on a “Crack Crackdown” and similar measures. Mondale had photo-ops with Black leaders, and pushed for social programs, but his programs did perpetuate racial inequities.

Mondale had little to do personally with the CDC’s Immunosuppression Task Force. But he did defend it when faced with Conservative Christian attacks. Work on HIV/AIDS would proceed, although that was cold comfort to those who lost their lives or loved ones to the disease.

Mondale would achieve several other things of note. Expanding upon major Civil Rights Bills, including his own fair housing bill, making MLK Day a federal holiday, new National Parks and renamed post offices and all the rest.

Walter Mondale is typically considered an Upper Flight President. Conservatives were driven nuts, but Liberals viewed him very favorably. Plenty of success, and no land war in Asia.

Mondale’s Presidential Library was in Minnesota, and his successor would attend the opening…

You_Doodle+_2024-02-15T05_01_47Z.jpeg

What if the Conservatives won a minority in the 2011 Canadian federal election? The POD is that the Liberals don't rush their leadership election to replace Dion, and it is held a year later, with Dominic LeBlanc narrowly beating out Micheal Ignatieff. The NDP doesn't get as big of a surge as OTL, but they still make gains nonetheless. Harper's time as Prime Minister comes to an end after the Liberals and NDP agree to form a coalition government, with the Bloc and Greens providing confidence and supply. The 29th Canadian Ministry is sworn in soon after Harper's speech from the throne is voted down, with Dominic LeBlanc becoming the 23rd Prime Minister of Canada.

Alternate 2011 Canadian federal election infobox.png

2011 Canadian federal riding map.png