Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

Man Japan can't really catch a break can it? When it's not foreign wars it's civil wars making things complicated, hopefully this one will be short and not too destructive.

I defo don't even with what's left being mostly Walloon land. France is already strong enough, and it'd probably just make France stronger if that's the case. If the stadtholder can get the Catholics and protestants to work together (a hard feat considering it all) this Dutch republic will be a lot stronger tho.
I think it's unlikely, especially because a stronger and with better finances France would seek to take control of the region, especially because their Alliance with the Dutch republic was brought to a end sooner than OTL so France will be pressing them much more in order to get all the Catholic regions in the Netherlands under their thumb.

Hello,

Enjoyed the latest chapter. It looks like Japanese politics ITTL cannot catch a break.

I would assume that European expertise might be brought in to bring Japan up to date on naval warfare...
The articles above may give some ideas on how to improve mercantile shipping and shipbuilding
I appreciate the links!!

Another Japanese Civil War?! What’s this their third one?!?!
Japan: No I suffer from Civil Wars
Germany: No, I suffer from Civil Wars
China: Amateurs.
Japan, Germany: What was that, punk?
China: Amateurs!
Korea: What's a civil war? I've never had one, is it fun?
China, Japan: *sarcastic voice* Oh yeah, they are a blast! Literally!

Man Japan can't really catch a break can it? When it's not foreign wars it's civil wars making things complicated, hopefully this one will be short and not too destructive.
Tbf I'm quite surprised by how many civil wars are happening in Japan. It's a lot of civil wars for the place in general, and I wonder when we'd get a golden period where Japan mostly fights outside powers instead of civil war every two to three decades.
I think it's unlikely, especially because a stronger and with better finances France would seek to take control of the region, especially because their Alliance with the Dutch republic was brought to a end sooner than OTL so France will be pressing them much more in order to get all the Catholic regions in the Netherlands under their thumb.
That's true, France will be pressuring the Dutch a lot ittl. I just hope the insane pressure France is putting on the nation would make the Dutch catholics and protestants work together.

Another Japanese Civil War?! What’s this their third one?!?!
It might not actually become a civil war, just a lot of factional paralysis…
The truth shall be revealed in due time…
I’ve got to say that that set of samurai armor somehow manages to look cool and utterly ridiculous at the same time.
That’s 17th century samurai armor for you. Starting at the end of the 16th, the customization got wildly creative to say the least.
... Korea's literally in the middle of one right now.
Not really, more internal strife but the full explanation of the aftermath will be reached soon enough

Nice chapter, hopefully with better economical condition and a bit of luck the French can finally capture the Spanish Netherlands.
Technically no longer Spanish as per the Treaty of the Pyrenees ITTL, more like the Bishopric of Liege along with several other minor principalities in Wallonia
Am curious to see how far France gets there here but am wondering more on the Rhine, will France control more of its left bank than OTL (inb4 it's just another contest with the Hapsburgs over Italy lmao)

I defo don't even with what's left being mostly Walloon land. France is already strong enough, and it'd probably just make France stronger if that's the case. If the stadtholder can get the Catholics and protestants to work together (a hard feat considering it all) this Dutch republic will be a lot stronger tho.
The English should be concerned about France's takeover imo.
IIRC wasn't it a traditional concern of theirs that France should not gain ports to invade the Isles with? (such as Antwerp - thankfully for them, it's with the Dutch - but also Dunkirk, Nieuwpoort, or Ostend)

Perhaps the English and the Dutch could work together (even if very briefly) to check the French advance in Flanders and have the Netherlands gain territory comprising some of the barrier forts, or have the French exchange territory in Flanders for land in Wallonia (or in the Franche-Comte or Luxembourg, don't think the Treaty of the Pyrenees affected those ITTL)

Last edited:
Technically no longer Spanish as per the Treaty of the Pyrenees ITTL, more like the Bishopric of Liege along with several other minor principalities in Wallonia

The English should be concerned about France's takeover imo.
IIRC wasn't it a traditional concern of theirs that France should not gain ports to invade the Isles with? (such as Antwerp - thankfully for them, it's with the Dutch - but also Dunkirk, Nieuwpoort, or Ostend)

Perhaps the English and the Dutch could work together (even if very briefly) to check the French advance in Flanders and have the Netherlands gain territory comprising some of the barrier forts, or have the French exchange territory in Flanders for land in Wallonia (or in the Franche-Comte or Luxembourg, don't think the Treaty of the Pyrenees affected those ITTL)
I think that was concern that only really become priority during the reign of William of Orange and beyond as before the English were not as preoccupied IIRC.

While I don't think it's impossible, the English would have their own internal instabilities to deal with and couldn't intervene as well, ironically the Dutch are likely to ally with Spain in order to prevent French expansion as both have valid reasons to try and contain French power and indeed Spain is the only possible power to actually match France's numbers and quality.

While I don't think it's impossible, the English would have their own internal instabilities to deal with and couldn't intervene as well, ironically the Dutch are likely to ally with Spain in order to prevent French expansion as both have valid reasons to try and contain French power and indeed Spain is the only possible power to actually match France's numbers and quality.
Cmiiw but wasn't containing France part of the reason why the Dutch ultimately didn't go for the rest of the Netherlands OTL?
They'd rather have a weak Spanish buffer there (with the Hapsburgs being the ones to put up troops and other resources there) as opposed to the Dutch having to directly pay for the upkeep of those areas in a confrontation with France. Also, will admit to needing to be caught up with what's happening with England ITTL. Do wonder if they're doing fine here...

That said, I don't doubt the Dutch are willing to try to ally with Spain, but will Spain be willing to reconcile tho?
Dunno how much sore feelings between their leaders can hamper such attempts, esp. if the French attack sooner rather than their later (while memories of the hostilities are still fresh)

Given that Sakuma clan rather diminished in OTL, it's somehow quite amusing to see a general from Sakuma clan being this outstanding and I enjoyed it. He and his fellow commanders would get plenty of kabuki plays and kōdan stories praising them ITTL.

Cmiiw but wasn't containing France part of the reason why the Dutch ultimately didn't go for the rest of the Netherlands OTL?
They'd rather have a weak Spanish buffer there (with the Hapsburgs being the ones to put up troops and other resources there) as opposed to the Dutch having to directly pay for the upkeep of those areas in a confrontation with France. Also, will admit to needing to be caught up with what's happening with England ITTL. Do wonder if they're doing fine here...
Indeed, it helped that if France attacked anyways they could've drawn a coalition against them while if the Dutch were alone it would've been easier for them to end up fighting the French alone with little help coming.

That said, I don't doubt the Dutch are willing to try to ally with Spain, but will Spain be willing to reconcile tho?
Dunno how much sore feelings between their leaders can hamper such attempts, esp. if the French attack sooner rather than their later (while memories of the hostilities are still fresh)
Spain probably will, they realize the bigger threat in France and would try and get some of their image back if they can inflict a defeat on them, even if a minor one.

There will probably be a more robust Anglo update down the line but as of this, the main differences are:

-The Parliamentarians win the English Civil War more quickly ITTL before the formation of a New Model Army and while the more moderate Presbyterians still hold power.

-As a result, England is now Presbyterian.

-England while fighting Spain fails to take Jamaica, so Jamaica is still the Spanish colony of Santiago.

-Because Charles II doesn’t marry Catherine of Braganza and marries Christina of Sweden instead, England doesn’t gain Tangiers or Bombay from Portugal through a dowry.

-New Sweden and New Netherlands still exist.
Given that Sakuma clan rather diminished in OTL, it's somehow quite amusing to see a general from Sakuma clan being this outstanding and I enjoyed it. He and his fellow commanders would get plenty of kabuki plays and kōdan stories praising them ITTL.
Just wanna throw this out there but Sakuma Moritora is the 4th most mentioned historical figure in this TL, only beaten by Oda Nobunaga, Kanbe Tomoyoshi, and Oda Tomoaki in that order.

-New Sweden and New Netherlands still exist.
However, it is worth considering that the Netherlands and Sweden do not have enough population to support stable settlement growth.
-As a result, England is now Presbyterian.
As far as I can tell, radical Protestantism was not particularly widespread in England - except perhaps in the north, well, maybe in Wales (I'm talking about Methodism).