The Gold Rose: An Edward of Angoulême timeline

ICYMI, there are three options for the next update:
  • Breton crisis of 1387: The release of Jean de Blois sets off a chain of events that leads to a crisis in Brittany that will reverberate for years to come.
  • Royal Inferno: Charles the Bad, the greatest schemer of Hundred Years War, makes his final, desperate moves as his health declines before suffering a gruesome death.
  • Guelders War: England, Guelders and Luxembourg challenge Burgundian supremacy in the Low Countries, leading to a dramatic showdown and makes one man famous across Europe.
I can't vote man.

Very interesting chapter! Also, all three of the options for next chapter sounds hecking interesting! Gooooood stuff! I do however have some questions
The Order of the Bath was a much more serious institution than King Edward III's Order of the Garter. In lieu of great tournaments that acted out Arthurian legends, the Order of the Bath was an almost holy dedication to the crown and companion knights. This illustrated one of the major differences between Edward III and Edward V. Edward III delighted in the chivalric tradition and approached war as a grand adventure. Edward V saw kingship as a duty and war as an obligation, taking no pleasure in its pursuit.
Interesting! A much earlier Order of the Bath - It kinda seems like it outranks the Order of the Garter ttl though? Or will that only be in E5's reign?
  • Edward's younger brother, Sir Richard of Bordeaux, was awarded the lands of their attainted former brother-in-law, John IV, duke of Brittany, and created 1st earl of Richmond.
Hmmm, interesting that he isn't created a duke when he and Edward's royal uncles are. Although they were only created dukes later in life, so will the same happen to Richard?
In the midst of the flurry of new appointments and creation of new offices, arguably the greatest change to royal government came as a result of a petition from Roger Blickling, a squire from Norfolk. Blickling was in the service of Margaret of Norfolk, suo jure 2nd countess of Norfolk, who for years had lobbied to be named earl marshal, a hereditary office that had once been held by her father. Margaret had long been denied the office as a result of her gender, but Edward rejected Blickling's petition on entirely different grounds. The king claimed that royal officers were servants of the crown and declared kings had the right to appoint whoever they desired to hold office, effectively ending hereditary succession to royal offices.
Very interesting! That's quite the boon to royal power. Hopefully Edward can hold on to that power

I love this! It just adds so much texture.
Glad you like it. Gotta admit with this one I wondered if I was getting a little too in the weeds x'D

Very interesting chapter! Also, all three of the options for next chapter sounds hecking interesting! Gooooood stuff! (The strawpoll is borked though) I do however have some questions
Should be fixed now, I hope o_O

Interesting! A much earlier Order of the Bath - It kinda seems like it outranks the Order of the Garter ttl though? Or will that only be in E5's reign?
Def during Edward V's reign, though also kind of depends on how you look at it. I imagine ATL Garter continues to be restricted in size and reserved only for the most chivalric figures, whereas ATL Bath is for those Edward has built personal bonds with in battle.

Hmmm, interesting that he isn't created a duke when he and Edward's royal uncles are. Although they were only created dukes later in life, so will the same happen to Richard?
Yeah, Gaunt, Langley and Woodstock all got earldoms and were later upgraded to dukedoms. Richard will get his upgrade in the very near future.

Very interesting! That's quite the boon to royal power. Hopefully Edward can hold on to that power
I hope to circle round back to that in the not too distant future ...

GO GUELDERS!

My vote's on this one.
I'm excited for Guelders, whether it's next or a later update 😄

Good chapter, nice second coronation of Edward V, may his appointments do well in the greater governance of England. I voted for Royal Inferno.